Solo Lynx time question

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by cloudbuster, May 5, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone else flown the beast alone?

My logbook has 0.2 solo. Hildesheim a/f to Himmelstur. BAOR HELARM concentration, 1989.

Someone got the maths wrong, not enough crews to ferry the cabs up to the training area. Blagged the CO to do the auth (thanks Mike).

Bl**dy lonely, and I'd only been out of the sausage factory a couple of months.

12 minutes, Hilders to the 'stur?

I went round twice, yee hah! :lol:

Can I have my old job back??

2. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

Done it with a tech in the left.........
    And crewman "o"'s
    same ting

3. Quite a few times with a certain young officer years ago. Well, we all considered it to be solo seeings how he was as much use as a truck load of pork in Haifi on a Saturday morning.

4. Got hundreds of hours solo in my floppy Flash :lol:

5. Thats only because no one wanted to fly with you mutts!

6. No, I think the keyword here is alone, although there were some of whom it could truely be said "weren't really there".

BTW, anyone seen or heard from Mick Lord? (mods - he's out, has been long time).

7. Solo, Munster - Soest - Munster to pick up a chef and a No2 Cooker I think! 1980, 662 Sqn - what a larf.

beef

8. Oakington - Netheravon - Oakington. :wink:

9. No major daring do feat in flying it alone anyway. The aircraft was designed from the drawing board for single pilot operation..FAA have always and still do so.

10. Single pilot yes, single crew?? Semantics maybe. The FAA tend to fly mainly with an observer in the LHS.

One of the reasons why we stipulate it's two crew is due to a couple of Governor Malfunction emergencies. One being a situation where an engine has already failed and the remaining engine decides to runaway up (not your day!) and requires the ECL to be moved manually. As single pilot, one would need to grow an extra arm if ever found in this situation! Not entirely impossible though as single pilot. A nifty technique can be employed but why put yourself in this position when there is usually two seats up front anyway! As IGLA says, it's not rocket science flying it when all is well. It's that 0.001% chance when Mr Rolls and Mr Royce decide to make you earn all your flying pay all in one day. Even when taking a non qualified person up front on a 'jolly', its advisable to have a chap in the back to cover the ECL's in such a circumstance.

Not withstanding the potential emergency side of flying the Lynx, we like flying with our mates!

Cloudbuster, Ref ML. Think he may be in the Andover area. Speak to any bikers in the area. :wink:

11. Was good fun back in the eighties when the BATS sometimes got a quick go after completing an air test. Probably got about 20 mins Gazelle and 10 on Beaver in total over the years :)

12. Thanks for that, Flash. Of course the stipulation for two crew was borne in mind at the time, especially as I had only recently converted. :lol: The authoriser gave me a very thorough brief on the governer runaway up situation, and I kept a close eye on the triple-gauge. I must admit, it gave my confidence a great boost, as I really wasn't keen on converting, and had to be forced into the thing with a cattle-prod at MW.

I don't meet up with too many Andover bikes, sorry bikers, these days, so I'll give ML another bell.

13. :evil:

In the early days we (acm "O" ) used to do the work with the new boy pilots and take it in turns to play with Stanley and the engine controls, more fun with two than in Scouts. So with two crew it was like being one.

NEVER compare Techs to "O"s, they had their head up their a**s counting their money........................... well proved when "O"s did their own 60 hour servicing on the Beavers.