Solider vs Officer

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by Repartee, Apr 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently at university studying criminology. I am at a split between entering the army (RMP) as a soldier or officer. Clearly there is a large difference in pay. And I'm sure most would assume that a degree means I should be applying as an officer. But would I see any benefits from having a degree as a soldier? (faster promotion? etc.)

Few things about me: I'm also in the OTC but all we seem to do is the fun stuff and haven't actually gain any insight into a life as on officer. My fitness isn't a problem (8min 12sec 1.5 mille) Just my main concern is I do not enjoy organising other people. That's not to say I can't do it, but I prefer being setting a tasks and completing them. Anyone have any suggestions to find out if officer is for me? Or questions I should ask myself. Basically I think I'd be a average officer or a excellent NCO.

From reading these boards the majority of replies are complete s***, only serious answers please.
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Last week I couldn't spell SOLDIER. Now I are one.
  3. The point is Vinci, if you can't decide yourself, then you are probably not looking at being an officer. A basic and fundamental decision.
  4. Even I can spell that one!
  5. I'll close the thread, got the answers I expected.
  6. Indeed! - a good point, well presented. :wink:
  7. Bloke is a total plank.
  8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Why did you ask then?
  9. didn't you write the book - how to win friends and influence people.?
  10. Imagine him as a soldier, he would be forever writing out bullying forms!

11. It's like an expensive, classy shop.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. ;)

I doubt you'd even make a mediocre shop dummy.
  12. Yeah, if you say something along the lines of "no **** answers please", doesn't take the brains of an arch bishop to understand what response you're going to get! Proverbial red rag to a bull etc.

If you hadn't noticed the sense of humour prevalent here... well... you’re not the sharpest tool in the box!

I would say that by saying you don’t enjoy organising people, you’ve already answered your own question. Don’t go for officer.

By the way, hope you pick up a sense of humour before you join up and don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

Edited to add.... You're a cock.
  13. Got to be the Soldier by a knock out

ok mine turn

Polar bear v Bengal Tiger?
  14. Hmmmm, tricky one, but I think Bengal Tiger. :D
  15. Rather a silly first post/new thread.

Even sillier condition attached.

I think you've answered your own question. If you don't enjoy organising people, you will make neither an officer nor a decent NCO. Possibly a poorish soldier, at any and all levels.

Get your ideas sorted out - as my old CO was fond of saying to ditherers . . .