Solicitors in the TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by JohnDutch, May 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HI

Is anyone here a Solicitor. I would like to know how their employer and prospective employers view them being a memeber of the reserve forces. Also does work conflict with their TA duties?

2. My OC is a senior solicitor in the firm (but below partner level) and he does not tend to emphasise it, is more open than he used to be but still very discreet.
  3. Just what you need, a barrack room lawyer on patrol with you...
  4. We've got 4 in our Company alone! Every man an emperor - wah!
  5. Instant legal advice before opening fire, that sound good.
  6. Probably one of the better represented professions in our lot (at all ranks), in fact at one time the CO and 2 of the OCs were solicitors – made for some lengthy de-briefs. They seem to have no more or less issues than any other set of employees.

Only if you restrict it to one per team -with two solicitors in your team you'll probably have three opinons (and a bloody great bill).
  7. How dare you - I am NOT a lawyer!
  8. I'm not a lawyer either!

There used to be hundreds. Still many in units outside London where there tends to be a saner view of work-life balance. In London it's more and more difficult for young solicitors, especially in the 'law factories' where 12-14 hour days are commonplace (though let's face it, the financial rewards match the hours)

Like so many trades, there's no culture at the top of support for the Reserves (however hard SaBRE tries). Twenty years ago, the partnership list for most large law firms would have a sprinkling of TDs, DLs - occasionally even an MC. Now that isn't the case.
  9. Talking to people in my unit, attitudes vary from firm to firm. One person is getting grief about it, another is a partner and is naturally very supportive of people in his firm. Some of the larger firms have a policy of giving an extra week paid leave for training.