soldiers who served in Northen Ireland

Ken Wharton has penned many books and tells "The Soldiers side" he is 100% gen and if you want your side told without giving your personal details he will respect that. Very pleased to class Ken as a friend and fellow British Soldier,he is trying to keep us "The Forgotten" from being wiped out of our history
I was able to contribute to Ken's second book on the troubles. Ken has done some sterling work on putting our story in the public domain.

Unlike Adams and the other terrorists we have nothing to be ashamed off.

Rodney2q

I was able to contribute to Ken's second book on the troubles. Ken has done some sterling work on putting our story in the public domain.

Unlike Adams and the other terrorists we have nothing to be ashamed off.

Rodney2q
I thought about contributing to the book but I didn't because I wasn't really sure what I wanted to say.

My son brought me the first book as a christmas present a few years ago and I did eagerly sit down christmas morning to read it. after being engrossed in it for twenty minutes or so, I was rather gobsmacked to read my name mentioned in one of the incidents described.

A tragic incident where one of ours was killed by a sniper outside Girdwood Park which I remember quite vividly.

I was rather gobsmacked to read my name mentioned in one of the incidents described.

A tragic incident where one of ours was killed by a sniper outside Girdwood Park which I remember quite vividly.
Now every Tom, Dick or Seamus can work out your name after all those details. ;)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
While I trust Ken I don't trust CPS,and various other do gooders that seem to have a bit of blinkered view of what happened so I'll pass on telling my tales

I have no tales to tell of any description. I don't remember a damn thing about any time I might have spent in the Province, can't remember where I went, anyone I ever met or what I did there. Mind you, that's much more likely to be dementia than caution, I have the same problem with yesterday.

I'm just looking up the stats for the 2011 Paddy election, its appear less than 10% of people voted for the touts party.
I guess those living in the south dont really give a shit about the north.
And who can blame them. Just look at the eejits chucking rocks at the RUC sorry, PSNI today. Who'd fookin have 'em by choice.

Although not ex military, I was RUC for 30 odd years, some of my fondest memories was time in West Belfast in the late 70's and early 80's working with various Regiments. This site caught my eye when I saw the name " McCrory Park" park mentioned I spent some time there as a military liason officer also North Howard St Mill in the Lower Falls area. Springfield Rd RUC and Hasting St RUC, both long gone, housing now I think. One of my weirdest memories occurred early 80'ish must have been the run up to Xmas. We attended a call to (2 X grey Landrovers) to Ballymurphy (short strange fact, my wife was born there, her old man had been RAF during WW2 the majority of the estate was for ex service men during the 50's) working mens club where some local scrotum had actually been nailed to the freshly laid tar mac carpark, both hands, looked like 6 inch nails, anyway he is squealing like a pig, some of the locals are giving it loud from the club along with the odd brick, we were waiting for an ambulane or maybe fire service to cut this, I presume punishment victim free, the whole scene was somewhat chaotic , although we did try to reassure the victim with little gems as "good news and bad news mate, bad news is your hands are fucked, good news is we have a buyer for your boxing gloves". Then the strangest thing happened, 2 army vehicle came up the main Whiterock Rd, I can't remember their name, not "Pigs" these things had 6 wheels and made a peculiar high pitched whine when they got up speed. I presume they were going to McCrory Park, they slowed down anyway as they passed. The top man on the rear vehicle ie sticking out of the hatch was wearing a Polar Bear suit, he still had his SLR and all, he looked like something out of a Fox's Glasier Mint ad. Everything stopped, the rent a mob shut up and stopped throwing all the police just stared, even the scrot nailed to the deck went quiet. The convoy went passed, the Polar Bear nodded at us then disappeared up the road. We all just stared and then looked at each other, then everything started up again, stoners started stoning, victim resumed his whinning and we resumed are disinterest. Situation normal for West Belfast. Can't actually remember what happened to the nailed guy, but I always remember that Polar Bear!

Although not ex military, I was RUC for 30 odd years, some of my fondest memories was time in West Belfast in the late 70's and early 80's working with various Regiments. This site caught my eye when I saw the name " McCrory Park" park mentioned I spent some time there as a military liason officer also North Howard St Mill in the Lower Falls area. Springfield Rd RUC and Hasting St RUC, both long gone, housing now I think. One of my weirdest memories occurred early 80'ish must have been the run up to Xmas. We attended a call to (2 X grey Landrovers) to Ballymurphy (short strange fact, my wife was born there, her old man had been RAF during WW2 the majority of the estate was for ex service men during the 50's) working mens club where some local scrotum had actually been nailed to the freshly laid tar mac carpark, both hands, looked like 6 inch nails, anyway he is squealing like a pig, some of the locals are giving it loud from the club along with the odd brick, we were waiting for an ambulane or maybe fire service to cut this, I presume punishment victim free, the whole scene was somewhat chaotic , although we did try to reassure the victim with little gems as "good news and bad news mate, bad news is your hands are fucked, good news is we have a buyer for your boxing gloves". Then the strangest thing happened, 2 army vehicle came up the main Whiterock Rd, I can't remember their name, not "Pigs" these things had 6 wheels and made a peculiar high pitched whine when they got up speed. I presume they were going to McCrory Park, they slowed down anyway as they passed. The top man on the rear vehicle ie sticking out of the hatch was wearing a Polar Bear suit, he still had his SLR and all, he looked like something out of a Fox's Glasier Mint ad. Everything stopped, the rent a mob shut up and stopped throwing all the police just stared, even the scrot nailed to the deck went quiet. The convoy went passed, the Polar Bear nodded at us then disappeared up the road. We all just stared and then looked at each other, then everything started up again, stoners started stoning, victim resumed his whinning and we resumed are disinterest. Situation normal for West Belfast. Can't actually remember what happened to the nailed guy, but I always remember that Polar Bear!
Where they Saxons? Saxon Armored Personnel Carrier | Military-Today.com

If its 70's, 6-wheeled and whiney in an urban environment then it is likely a Saracen?
I know it's a long time ago but wasn't the Saracen replaced by Saladin in the late 60s or early 70s? I know there wasn't much difference between them (both 6 wheeled and whiney) just that the Saladin had better under protection for shrugging off roadside IEDs (supposedly). Anyway, as I was normally tucked up in the air conditioned brick offices of Thiepval then either one sounded noisy to me. (But not as whiney as some of the Commcen ops when they got a paper cut).

I was in Fort Pegasus (McRory Park) in 81 with the Scots Guards. We had two Saracens as ambulances - red cross crosses, no weapons.

Saracen...otherwise known as 'cans'. They were defo used in the early '80s in W. Belfast during that time.

Alvis Saracen - Wikipedia
Probably were. I did one stint there in 1971 but never went back again until 1988. In between it was Belize (a few times), Cyprus (for the nasty bit between the Greeks and Turks) and FI. Left NI 1990 and virtually straight onto Granby in 1991 then Belize again 1992. And the youngsters today say we were simply Cold War warriors. Tch!

I know it's a long time ago but wasn't the Saracen replaced by Saladin in the late 60s or early 70s? I know there wasn't much difference between them (both 6 wheeled and whiney) just that the Saladin had better under protection for shrugging off roadside IEDs (supposedly).........
No, they were two variants within the same family of vehicles. Saracen was an APC, Saladin was an Armoured Car with a turret mounting a 76mm gun. Saladin was replaced in general service by the Scorpion CVR(T) in the 70's.

Saracen

Saladin

Latest Threads