Soldiers who served in multiple wars

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Clicking on an unusual image on Flickr, I noticed the car, and then the information about the owner
a Soldier called Stuffy Lawrence
I was intrigued about his service
link to image
How many Other soldiers managed to serve in 3 wars ?
I did read about a Boer war soldier that joined the RFC in WW1
but three is good going

Brian Turner Tom Lawrence - Wikipedia

Winston Churchill fought in India, Cuba , Boer war and WW1.

Just reading Boris Johnsons book today , he was certainly not afraid of a fight .

He was 68 at the start of WW2, what part did he play in it?

They started it !

And i said WW1 @dingerr , didn't put ww2 as he was not scraping in that . So he could be included in that or not depending on your view on the original question.

If you like RAF chaps this guy is interesting:

Jan Zumbach - Wikipedia

His book, On Wings Of War is very, very good but very pricey on Amazon, about £450 for a Corgi paperback!. I found a copy in a second hand bookshop in Cheltenham.

They started it !

And i said WW1 @dingerr , didn't put ww2 as he was not scraping in that . So he could be included in that or not depending on your view on the original question.
Sorry, I meant the OPs man, not our Winston.

Depends on how you define 'war', I s'pose.

In the medal collecting world, there are a few examples of men who served during the Boer War 1899-1902, WWI, then service supporting the White Russians during the Russian Civil War and on into WWII.

Amongst the most notable is FM The Lord Ironside Edmund Ironside, 1st Baron Ironside - Wikipedia

His campaign medals include both the Queen's and King's South Africa Medals, a 1914-20 trio (hence the reason why the WWI British War Medal is dated to 1920-it takes into account the Russian Civil War as that campaign was not individually recognised) and a 39-45 Star, Defence and War Medal for WWII. Plus, if you take into account his 1918-62 GSM with clasp 'NW PERSIA' for his service there in 1920 then, at a stretch, that would be four wars.

There's at least one from my old regiment who did the triple: Imperial Yeo/SA Light Horse in 1901-02, then TF/TA,leaving as CO for a staff appointment in 1940. That would put him in late 50s when he moved to drive a desk, which isn't that old, given the way the army worked in those days: the CO and all the majors in another ancestor regiment were over 50 when they went to Gallipoli

FM Haig. Sudan, Boer and WW1.
Earl Kitchener Sudan, Boer and WW1.
FM Roberts Indian rebelion, Afghanstan, Boer and WW1 on a rules bend.

Any senior rank in WW1 both officer and NCO had Empire time.

IF legand is to believed, lot of Huns served in WW2, them with the legion in Indochina, then with US forces in the sam theatre.
Also,a few yanks did Korea, Vietnam, Rhodesia... allegedly.

I'm sure that there is a USAF pilot who managed to get himself taken PoW 3 times: WWII, Korea and Vietnam-damned if I can remember his name, though.
Was it "Lucky"?

IF legand is to believed, lot of Huns served in WW2, them with the legion in Indochina, then with US forces in the sam theatre.
Also,a few yanks did Korea, Vietnam, Rhodesia... allegedly.
A few books have mentioned nationlised Germans being in Vietnam with the Americans . No doubt many fought with the French.