Soldiers try to become sailors

So there is something more dangerious than an Officer with a map:

Quote:
"A simple error over tide times saw Captain Andy Ellis, Captain Terry Williams and Major Matt Smith being swept quickly towards the Needles and open sea, before a support boat had to tow them back to safety."

So there is something more dangerious than an Officer with a map:

Quote:
"A simple error over tide times saw Captain Andy Ellis, Captain Terry Williams and Major Matt Smith being swept quickly towards the Needles and open sea, before a support boat had to tow them back to safety."
It's not their fault.

I bet their Sergeant major said something like "Oh yes Sir, I've checked and it's perfectly safe."
*thinks...serves the bastards right for making me work on a Saturday*

Captain Andy Ellis, Captain Terry Williams and Major Matt Smith

Ah...I think I can see the problem...

:)

Rodney2q

Me thinks certain officers have been watching too much Top Gear.

"In order to keep it afloat the group had strapped the leafblowers to their makeshift deck"

Never mind A for effort.

As someone who knows the Solent well doing RIB boating, to even think at hightide you could do this is being plain Officer, ie ******* stupid. Chances as well they would of come across Bramble Bank which is more or less in the middle and ended up beached. But at least the bouncy castle wouldnt of looked out of place. Please dont tell me they are from the 19 Port and Maritime lot down the road!!!

Lessons learned? "Captain Andy Ellis, Captain Terry Williams and Major Matt Smith said they will attempt to do it again "
Hello, Mr Darwin? I have some customers for you.

Reminds me of the people who think they can swim to Drake's island in Plymouth not taking into account the rip tide.

n-m, perhaps even funnier was 1(F) Sqn aboard HMS Hermes 31 years ago headed down south on an eviction mission.

Lessons learned? "Captain Andy Ellis, Captain Terry Williams and Major Matt Smith said they will attempt to do it again "
Hello, Mr Darwin? I have some customers for you.
It would only be Darwinian if they didn't bring a support boat!

As it is, it's just some wholesome arseing about. Or maybe even Arrseing about - are any of them members on here?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
How very dare that man suggest these gallant officers were from the Army's own highly professional sea going contingent.

( If they were from 17 Sport & Maritime RLC , the support boat would have broken down* whilst attempting to take them in tow, requiring the Regimental tug of war team to effect a successful rescue using a heaving line and a Fijian swimmer)

* or been reposessed by Intrum Justitia in default of unpaid berthing fees incurred in Yarmouth.

I can't wait for the RAF Ascension contingent to attempt to trump them by paddling a bouncy castle from Spire Beach to Boatswainbird Island. A glance at a map of Atlantic prevailing winds suggests that the support boat may best be sourced in Bermuda.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The Emperor must have sat up all night figuring how to get three (previously apparently sane) officers to do something so silly. He has been well rewarded.