Soldiers' Stories Northern Ireland

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Not sure if this has been flagged before, but just stumbled onto this documentary hosted by Ken Hames. Some interesting footage and stories in there.

[video=youtube;8l-UuwnX7Zs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l-UuwnX7Zs&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Particularly poignant because Ken Ambrose who features in some of this program and who was a Colour Serjeant running the recce platoon in 1RGJ back in the seventies has just passed away.

In later years, Ken was a driving force behind the Royal Green Jackets Association internet branch website.

Rest in Peace Ken. Another legend gone to the final RV.

His funeral will take place next week.

Swift and Bold.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Nice touch with the LI bloke recalling how the Bn was called out by a Bugler sounding the Alarm which no-one recognised. The rest of the documentary is also up on YouTube in several installations. Well worth a gander.

Good stuff that. I've always been interested in the British Army side of that particular conflict, rather than the somewhat biased and.. terrorist-ey version portrayed by the cnuts with armalites.

RIP Ken Ambrose... I served in the early 80's and I ******* still hate that place with a vengence.. served all my time there in Bandit country.. shit hole. Memories still fresh after all these years.. I hate them all equally.. cnuts.

Was this drawn from Ken's research for the book? It seemed some of the interviews/stories very much matched those in the book almost word for word.

Brilliant stuff either way.

Fascinating documentary, my father served over there however more towards the end of the troubles and he described it as incredibly boring with a hectic social life. I notice in the older footage numerous fixed bayonets, were they ever used out there as such? Shooting rioters is one thing but could you get away with bayonetting them!
They were fitted purely as a visual threat... there might have been a couple of paddys that accidently fell on them... not sure ..just wot I heard....

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And they had PROPER rifles!

I suspect this may have been adapted from one of Ken Wharton's books; the names are the same.

Ken Ambrose was a stalwart of the Rifle Brigade/Greenjackets and will be missed not least because of all the work he has done on our behalf.

The agonizing thing is that the IRA and their various offshoots are supported by the various tendrils of the catholic church, and the church poisons the young people's minds, the old people poison the young people's minds, and it all continues. Their aim is to unite ireland, by killing protestants, who are Irish. A mad situation and Ireland should be glad that Britain still has the balls to oppose the terrorists and murderers that compose the IRA and parts therof.

Well if I was a brick throwing chAV, it would certainly have visualised me. I seem to recall that after the recent riots there was talk of prepping the Army to step in on UK streets. I was up at uni at time in London and saw some of it as a bystander, in fact my wife posted some YouTube footage of some of the looting as we watched. I personally think the Police response was totally inadequate / unprepared and I'm sure many here would have welcomed the opportunity to get stuck in. Is it viable that should it ever happen again, soldiers will be called in? Bearing in mind the NI experience, how can that not be a realistic expectation?
Muuuuuh... It's a big can of worms.

It is viable, as has been pointed out as MACP, but the police would have had to take some serious casualties first.

The agonizing thing is that the IRA and their various offshoots are supported by the various tendrils of the catholic church, and the church poisons the young people's minds, the old people poison the young people's minds, and it all continues......
The exact same thing is happening here in the UK as well as in many other countries only not the Catholic church ........

Another reason i HATE all religions.

It is viable, as has been pointed out as MACP, but the police would have had to take some serious casualties first.
More viable on the mainland than it is in NI now.

You'd have to question to what degree the decision to deploy troops here was based upon a lack of confidence in elements of the RUC.

Good question. we only have only got to look back at the Miners strike in the 80s.. The police were struggling in South Yorkshire when they had nothing to defend against hundreds of rock chucking morans... Then all of a sudden he police had riot shields - batons - and horse armour... and they knew wot they were doing. Most of the ex forces Arrser's who served there time in NI would have noticed a canny resemberlence to military style crowd control and it did not come from Police training manual. Were they trained by the army ? well any ex squaddie still living would still deny any involvement in this, and too right. IMHO I do not think any Gov would be stupid enough to unlease the military on its own people on the mainland, as it would have devastating consequences for the whole country.

The agonizing thing is that the IRA and their various offshoots are supported by the various tendrils of the catholic church, and the church poisons the young people's minds, the old people poison the young people's minds, and it all continues. Their aim is to unite ireland, by killing protestants, who are Irish. A mad situation and Ireland should be glad that Britain still has the balls to oppose the terrorists and murderers that compose the IRA and parts therof.
It's quite a feat to display such a staggering amount of ignorance about a complicated situation in just two sentences.

Very similar to HM Prisons, pre and post Strangeways.

A lot of Prison Officers who were ex squaddies, and who were normally hated by the left wing liberal bleeding hearts Governors were very much flavour of the month when OP Tornado was called.

That was until the follow up investigations etc but thats another story.
Reminds me a bit of a chat I once had with a Fire Fighter. I asked him what rank he was, to which he replied to the effect that they didn't really have 'ranks' any more but had switched to 'job titles' - his was Station Manager. He further explained that this was to 'get away from the old army-style influence'.

Of all the assets this country can boast of, one of the most glittering and widely admired must be her armed forces. It perplexes me why an organisation would want to distance itself from the influence of those armed forces. The only answer which springs to mind is that bodies such as the emergency services are increasingly run by fast-tracked graduates who have no knowledge of things military, which they denigrate and discard as a result.

It's quite a feat to display such a staggering amount of ignorance about a complicated situation in just two sentences.
I'll admit i'm viewing it from a distance of time and mileage, what's your view on it?