Soldiers' Stories Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RP578, Jan 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Not sure if this has been flagged before, but just stumbled onto this documentary hosted by Ken Hames. Some interesting footage and stories in there.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Particularly poignant because Ken Ambrose who features in some of this program and who was a Colour Serjeant running the recce platoon in 1RGJ back in the seventies has just passed away.

In later years, Ken was a driving force behind the Royal Green Jackets Association internet branch website.

Rest in Peace Ken. Another legend gone to the final RV.

His funeral will take place next week.

Swift and Bold.
    • Like Like x 5
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Nice touch with the LI bloke recalling how the Bn was called out by a Bugler sounding the Alarm which no-one recognised. The rest of the documentary is also up on YouTube in several installations. Well worth a gander.
  4. Good stuff that. I've always been interested in the British Army side of that particular conflict, rather than the somewhat biased and.. terrorist-ey version portrayed by the cnuts with armalites.
  5. RIP Ken Ambrose... I served in the early 80's and I ******* still hate that place with a vengence.. served all my time there in Bandit country.. shit hole. Memories still fresh after all these years.. I hate them all equally.. *****.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Was this drawn from Ken's research for the book? It seemed some of the interviews/stories very much matched those in the book almost word for word.

Brilliant stuff either way.
  7. They were fitted purely as a visual threat... there might have been a couple of paddys that accidently fell on them... not sure ..just wot I heard....
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And they had PROPER rifles!

I suspect this may have been adapted from one of Ken Wharton's books; the names are the same.

Ken Ambrose was a stalwart of the Rifle Brigade/Greenjackets and will be missed not least because of all the work he has done on our behalf.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The agonizing thing is that the IRA and their various offshoots are supported by the various tendrils of the catholic church, and the church poisons the young people's minds, the old people poison the young people's minds, and it all continues. Their aim is to unite ireland, by killing protestants, who are Irish. A mad situation and Ireland should be glad that Britain still has the balls to oppose the terrorists and murderers that compose the IRA and parts therof.
  10. Muuuuuh... It's a big can of worms.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yup, and the rozzers (rightly) regard using the army in a MACP capacity as a last resort. It looks very bad for them and indeed, the country as a whole.
  12. It is viable, as has been pointed out as MACP, but the police would have had to take some serious casualties first.
  13. The exact same thing is happening here in the UK as well as in many other countries only not the Catholic church ........

Another reason i HATE all religions.
  14. More viable on the mainland than it is in NI now.

You'd have to question to what degree the decision to deploy troops here was based upon a lack of confidence in elements of the RUC.