Soldiers Stories- Northern Ireland.

F

Format09

Guest
#1
Not sure if this has been highlighted but starting on Monday 26th is a documentary on the History Channel about Northern Ireland.

Soldiers' Stories tells of the troubles in Northern Ireland from the perspective of the British soldiers who served there between 1969 and 2007, the longest continuous deployment in the history of the British Army.

This was a war against terrorists who knew no mercy or compassion; a war involving sectarian hatred and violent death. Over 1,000 British lives were lost in a place just 30 minutes flying time from the mainland.

This year is the 40th anniversary of the British Army’s arrival in Northern Ireland. They were deployed on 14 August 1969, by the Wilson government, as law and order had broken down and the population was in grave danger. Between then and 2007 some 300,000 British troops served in Northern Ireland. Occasionally they were welcomed; more often, they were spat at, pelted with missiles or shot.

So how did it feel to be a British soldier in Northern Ireland? These are their stories, terrible stories of bombings, killings and heartache over three decades, told for the first time from their own perspective
Check the website: http://www.history.co.uk/shows/soldiers-stories/about.html#bottomOfHeader
 
#5
I looked at this last night on BT Vision. Very moving. It did give the impression of the viciousness and confusion facing the army as individuals.

Hats off to all involved, a good job well done.
 
#6
Mr_C_Hinecap said:
Is there an hour on Tropper? That cold November night is worthy of a show of it's own.
It was January and I avoid Fame
 
#7
tropper66 said:
Mr_C_Hinecap said:
Is there an hour on Tropper? That cold November night is worthy of a show of it's own.
It was January and I avoid Fame
I agree. It wasn't one of Alan Parker's finest. :)
 
#8
Over a thousand British dead? There were 3524 casualties and they were all British standfast 9 Gards and an IDF soldier.
 
#10
Cuddles said:
Over a thousand British dead? There were 3524 casualties and they were all British standfast 9 Gards and an IDF soldier.
Bloody Mossad, they get everywhere! :x
 
#11
jaybee2786 said:
As in 50p per day and no food and accom bill lol
50p a day? Were you there in the early 70s?
 
#13
flamingo said:
Cuddles said:
Over a thousand British dead? There were 3524 casualties and they were all British standfast 9 Gards and an IDF soldier.
Bloody Mossad, they get everywhere! :x
Many a true word spoken in jest Flaming Joe!
 
#14
#15
Bubbles_Barker said:
jaybee2786 said:
As in 50p per day and no food and accom bill lol
50p a day? Were you there in the early 70s?
1979 I was getting £1.12 per day extra. No food & Accm bill either, but wasn't allowed to draw full pay.

Had a shed load of cash at the end of the tour (Op Banner)
 
#17
Arte_et_Marte said:
Bubbles_Barker said:
jaybee2786 said:
As in 50p per day and no food and accom bill lol
50p a day? Were you there in the early 70s?
1979 I was getting £1.12 per day extra. No food & Accm bill either, but wasn't allowed to draw full pay.

Had a shed load of cash at the end of the tour (Op Banner)
Funny in 1979 i was drawing that and still had no money, i can see a precendence here, i didnt have any money on my previous tours either, i was shite at cards
 
#18
Omagh was great but some time later I met met ex girlfriend with her 16/5th husband in Woofers main drag, wasn't you was Scarletto,was it, she had worked in the telephone exchange
 
#19
scarletto said:
Bubbles_Barker said:
jaybee2786 said:
As in 50p per day and no food and accom bill lol
50p a day? Were you there in the early 70s?
Yes 50p a day, it meant i still couldnt afford two cheeseburgers.
My covertly made point (too covertly probably) was that jaybee was unlikely to have been serving in say, 1972 and was therefore probably fibbing just a little about the 50p a day bit.

You're clearly old and smelly enough however to remember sleeping on buses on the Shankill :D
 
#20
jaybee2786 said:
As in 50p per day and no food and accom bill lol
My pl comd complained that a rise in his mess bill and accomodation charges to accompany the pay rise meant that he was actually getting paid less...

:)

Mind you, in those days you couldn't say we were doing it for the money, whatever rank you were.

Rodney2q
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads