Soldiers Stories - History channel 26/1009.

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by foggy_balla, Oct 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw this advertised tonight. Unfortunately only being aired on History channel so not available on terrestrial telly. May be worth a view for anyone that has the likes of Sky.

OP Banner telly series
  2. Ah you beat me to it Foggy_Balla! I wanted to notify the forum of this intriguing and hopefully fascinating new tv series. As a civilian who has an interest in military history. I do believe there's a dearth of documentaries on the history of the troubles. In particular, the experiences of soldiers rather than the detailing of various tactical engagements. It's a shame the History Channel do not allow their programmes to be downloaded off the website. I think this is a collective story that needs to be told. So the public, who usually at large are ill-informed of such experiences.
  3. Have they used Ken Whartons book as a basis for this? It would make sense to as he's got a fair few in his book.
  4. I know at least one of the soldiers interviewed for this programme. Dusty stuff.

Unfortunately I haven't got a dvd writer or I'd copy and post out in exchange for a donation to H4H, perhaps someone else can pick up the idea and run with it?
  5. I was really impressed by this programme, very good, all the stories told by the guys who were the boots on the ground.

This is the sort of thing that should compulsory viewing for school kids instead of learning about "shake and vac" adverts FFS!
  6. I watched the documentary last night. It brought back memories of my tours in '72, '73, '75 (2nd Regt RA) and '88 (12 Regt RA). It was well put together and those guys interviewed were impressive.
  7. I made my 14 year old daughter sit and watch it with me, impressing on her that this was going on relatively recently and ON BRITISH SOIL, in fact not more than 100 miles from where we sat.

Excellent programme, well made, well presented, would be good to see it picked up by the mainstream channels but wonder if it's too political for that. :roll:
  8. If I can get it downloaded from my normal source of TV torrents, I'll be more than happy to do it. It's not up there yet, but I'll keep my eye out for it.
  9. damn missed it and can't find when it's repeated,if any one knows can you PM me
    Is it an adaptation on Ken Whartons Long,Long War?
  10. I don't think it's an adaptation of anything. It was a documentary, narrated by an ex-squaddie, going from the very start of Op Banner as told by the blokes who were there, right up to the end, describing their experiences on patrol on the streets of Belfast, the Bogside, and out in Bandit Country. Told by lads who were shot, blown up or witnesses to their mates being shot or blown up.
  11. Its on again at 0100hrs Wednesday morning.
  12. It said in the credits he was a producer for it or something similar. Some good footage and interviews.
  13. I smiled when the Monkey said "he got a debrief in the back of the vehicle..."
  14. Still quite shocking to see that footage of the two Sigs guys caught up in the funeral cortege. Noticed that all the interviewees after it said it was basically a wake up call to what could happen to you and they all said they would shoot their way out.
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My 15 year old watched it with me and was horrified, he asked why when I told the stories they all seemed funny? I found it difficult to explain but I'm sure if he was sat in a makralon landrover when someone is shooting at it and there is nowhere to go he would find it incredibly funny. I didnt then or for a few hours afterwards but after the tour I couldnt think about it without laughing at how hopeless the situation was.