• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Soldiers replying to news reports via blogs - is it legal?

:? If a soldier reads a report in a newspaper that he/she believes or feels strongly is wrong, false or be-littles his/her efforts ... does he/she have the right to reply or state his belief that it is incorrect, if it does not contravene national security ? :?: :?: :?:

This is a modern world we live in! Has the British Army moved on this??

Galahad said:
:? If a soldier reads a report in a newspaper that he/she believes or feels strongly is wrong, false or be-littles his/her efforts ... does he/she have the right to reply or state his belief that it is incorrect, if it does not contravene national security ? :?: :?: :?:

This is a modern world we live in! Has the British Army moved on this??
Depends.

Is the story about a super-duper top secret missile and your blog contains the plans of the device?

If your response is redarding the quality of the beef chow mein on Thursday PAYD I doubt it.

It's the chow mein isn't it? I thought it was greasy to.

counterstrike said:
DEFENCE INSTRUCTIONS AND NOTICES
(Not to be communicated to anyone outside HM Service without authority)

Perhaps that's why it's behind ArmyNET. :roll:

Was it ever in the public domain?
Yes, indeed it was. PTP's posted link used to work. But the publicly available copy still had the distribution restriction intact - you expected common sense from the MOD.

The furore around this DIN was why I stopped being a lurker on here and registered and started posting.

*** B*gger, not quick enough! ***

1stgulfmac said:
Galahad,

a) Are you a journalist?
b) If not are you in deep dodo for something?

just curious like....
My money's on journo.
Daily Mail maybe?Questions far to lucid to be The Scum or the other red-top bog roll.

Galahad,

Just be honest why you are asking a question such as this for your first post. As I sad I am curious, it's a very definite question and your reasons may help allay any concerns and elucidate an honest answer.

Any comment to press must be cleared by soldier's Commanding Officer - isn't that the gist of it?

BBC seem to be regular culprits in asking soldiers to get in touch.

Can we possiby put a sticky up in the relevent boards with something along the lines of;

"Journo's-PLEASE READ!
Would all journo's please contact board Mods/CO's before posting questions due to DIN 2007DIN03.......ect ect ect"
That way the forums can be kept free of the same journo questions,or even start a forum for journo's...
Just a thought.

spike7451 said:
Can we possiby put a sticky up in the relevent boards with something along the lines of;

"Journo's-PLEASE READ!
Would all journo's please contact board Mods/CO's before posting questions due to DIN 2007DIN03.......ect ect ect"
That way the forums can be kept free of the same journo questions,or even start a forum for journo's...
Just a thought.
Like this per chance >> http://www.olivenet.co.uk/index.php?page=media-use (Top of ARRSE menue) 8)

Adam(KOS) said:
spike7451 said:

"Journo's-PLEASE READ!
Just a thought.
Like this per chance >> http://www.olivenet.co.uk/index.php?page=media-use (Top of ARRSE menue) 8)
Yup,but how many media actually read it?

Herrumph, see HERE
The guiding principle for all contact with the news media is that it must be referred, through the line manager/chain of command, to the appropriate D News staff (see para 23).
... continues to clarify types of communication (written/oral as in phone-ins/TV & radio interviews etc).

If Galahad is a journo, s/he must be rather sloppy as this information is in the public domain, and can be easily found using Google search.

Latest Threads