Soldiers replying to news reports via blogs - is it legal?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Galahad, Jan 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :? If a soldier reads a report in a newspaper that he/she believes or feels strongly is wrong, false or be-littles his/her efforts ... does he/she have the right to reply or state his belief that it is incorrect, if it does not contravene national security ? :?: :?: :?:

This is a modern world we live in! Has the British Army moved on this??
  2. I don't think it has been superseded (I may be horribly wrong here), it is just that it is SO 2007.

Still on Armynet here.

3. Perhaps that's why it's behind ArmyNET. :roll:

Was it ever in the public domain?
  4. Depends.

Is the story about a super-duper top secret missile and your blog contains the plans of the device?

If your response is redarding the quality of the beef chow mein on Thursday PAYD I doubt it.

It's the chow mein isn't it? I thought it was greasy to.
  5. Yes it was , very much so, and the subject of a 30-summat page thread on Arrse.
  6. Yes, indeed it was. PTP's posted link used to work. But the publicly available copy still had the distribution restriction intact - you expected common sense from the MOD.

The furore around this DIN was why I stopped being a lurker on here and registered and started posting.

*** B*gger, not quick enough! ***

7. I've seen that but will leave it for another day! :wink:
  8. Galahad,

a) Are you a journalist?
    b) If not are you in deep dodo for something?

just curious like....
  9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

My money's on journo.
    Daily Mail maybe?Questions far to lucid to be The Scum or the other red-top bog roll.
  10. Could be a free-lance. :lol:
  11. Galahad,

Just be honest why you are asking a question such as this for your first post. As I sad I am curious, it's a very definite question and your reasons may help allay any concerns and elucidate an honest answer.
  12. PTP, still in the public domain - google "2008DIN03-020" or "MoD - Contact With The Media And Communication In Public" (194.32Kb, 7 pages)
  13. Any comment to press must be cleared by soldier's Commanding Officer - isn't that the gist of it?

BBC seem to be regular culprits in asking soldiers to get in touch.
  14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Can we possiby put a sticky up in the relevent boards with something along the lines of;

"Journo's-PLEASE READ!
    Would all journo's please contact board Mods/CO's before posting questions due to DIN 2007DIN03.......ect ect ect"
    That way the forums can be kept free of the same journo questions,or even start a forum for journo's...
    Just a thought.