soldiers paying tax in iraq

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by staca, Nov 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what is the opinion of soldier haveing to still pay tax an n.i whilst serving abroad?

2. Unlucky, but I suppose you would have a point if they were out of the UK for more than 9 months 12 twelve (or 9 months out of 12 on average over 4 years)

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Currently if you are in the UK for more than 90 days in 1 year you pay income tax on your worldwide income.

However I personally believe any squaddie on ops should not pay tax while there. Make it a special case like the yanks do. Actual loss to the countries coffers would be minute. Think of the boost to moral and feeling of worth it would generate within the Mil, all for a few quid. I'm surprised it hasn't actually been done.

4. Without wishing to praise them - but the Americans have cobbled a scheme together which means their troops dont pay tax and whate ver whilst out of the country and - as i understand it - allways manage to arrange roulements in such a way as to get maximum advantage out of it. so if they can do it - im damn sure we can - and id also be pretty sure that their families dont get shafted (finacially) like ours do either.

5. Im pretty sure the American forces tax has some rules and regs cant remember what it is, will ask some later (if I remember).
    The Belgiums have the right idea.
    Private in the Cavalry earns roughly 1200 euros a month, 3 month tour of Afghanistan an extra 3000 euro per month tax free.
    Lt Col salary doubles and change when on op tour.

6. From what i can remeber of the American system - if you are out of the country for any part of a month you dont pay any tax etc for that month so they work the roulements that you leave the country at the end of the month and the guy you are releiving leaves atthe start of the months so both gain out of it.

7. Although the waiving of tax looks attractive in the short term it has all sorts long term problems. First though, the general salary and pay and allowances for those nations that do waive tax on ops is not as good as the UK soldier (in general terms there are a couple of exceptions).

If you don't pay tax it is likely that the X factor (worth about £5-6k) would be reduced or even taken off us (and that would be a Treasury driven initiative).
    We could end up with a two tier Army - ops and those not on ops.
    The X factor contributes towards our pension (whilst money on which we don't pay tax is already taken into account).
    Finally we shouldn't have to rely on what is effectively an overtime payment to ensure that we have a living wage.

8. yea you are spot on there OSACIN, just spoke to one of the septics. Leaves on the 1st of December, strange eh................. 8O

9. If the SPS stopped our tax each time we deployed and then restarted it once we returned, how many of us would have massively fcuked up pay at the end of each tax year and how much would we end up owing the govt?
    they cant even stop and start LSSA or ResPOD correctly 9 times out of 10.

After 22 years of stopping and starting Tax and LSSA youd owe more than youd be getting in gratuity.

10. Staca,

Nice idea but, as the others have pointed out, there would be a shed load of problems. I have a simpler solution; the Govt should pay the going rate for a soldier - and they aren't doing so at the moment!

I find it criminal that, reportedly, a private soldier on ops earns less per hour than the national minimum wage! I say "reportedly" because I haven't done the calculation myself. I will now be shot down in flames!

Why join up when you can earn more in any office job on the high street and knock off at 5pm?

My solution? Pay a private soldier one third of the salary paid to MPs, which would be roughly £20k (of £60k). Then adjust upwards from there. Oh and link our pension to theirs....

Litotes....dreaming gently in the Land of Nod...

11. If the treasury started to lose income from this type of system, surely there would then be pressure on the government to reduce the number of squaddies deployed at any one time, and also to reduce the number of deployments in order to minimise the effect on the UK economy....

Having said that, I reckon that our esteemed Chancellor would rather hammer his knob flat with a meat tenderiser than allow squaddies a tax benefit :? Why is it that a squaddie on the lowest level of the lowest pay band is not entitled to some benefits from the system

Ghost

12. Anyone on less than £120 a day are on less than minimum wage (£5 an hour, 24 hours)

13. The Army isnt about making money its a life style. The average soldier gets more time off per year leave than his civvie counterpart. You join the Army to train to go to war so when the time to do your job comes get on with it. wait til you do your ressetlement the reality of the commercial world will come home to roost when you are told to expect a 1/3 cut in wages in your civilian job. That suggests to me that you are over paid currently by a third and thats without the 11% contribution you make to your pension( non contributery) ie you dont see it but its paid. plus your cheap rent on houses, low council tax, cheap water and electric and now you dont want to pay tax. Sod off get your job done like the rest of the country and be thankful that your being overpaid.
    Dont cry danger money theres more people killed in the construction industry(72 last year) than soldiers get killed in war. Get on with it.

14. Sounds like there's a feck off big chip on your shoulder smithy.
    As a construction industry worker (admittedly not in the UK) my experience is that most people get killed/injured by their own fcuk ups through not following procedures and industry codes of practice. Also they are usually there by choice and on comparatively good money.

15. yes but do the construction industry get up in the morning in a hostile country, get their kit together and have the niggling thought in the back of their mind that today just like yesterday and tomorrow, they could die a painful death by being blown apart, burnt alive or shot or probably worse have any off those things happen to them and survive and live the rest of their lives in agony with horrific nightmares.

Smithy get a life, its not like it was in 'your day' where the most dangerous thing you did was a tour in the med centre in Lisburn.