Soldier's pay circa 1942?

Just had The Malta Story on the telly.It made me wonder what they were paying the boys and girls then?
I tried Googling but got fed up with it,so I thought some smart arrse would know.

What makes you think that Arrse would have a smartarse within its membership?

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
I only have a crab pay scale for 1942 but an aircraftsman got 2s(10P) a day on entry

IIRC there were two rates of pay during WWII a higher rate for 'Colours' & a lower rate for conscripts.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Did they pay tax and food accomodation etc ?

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Did the RN stop pay when the ship was sunk like Merchant Navy did?

Thanks chaps.When did the spelling of "serjeant" get changed?

It hasn't in some regiments! ;-) Around 1950 I think but don't quote me on that.

The early Commando units and the First American Rangers arriving in the UK were treated differently from the rest of the Army: for a variety of reasons they were billeted in civilian homes. It wasn't a compulsory arrangement, the householders were volunteers. The going rate for housing and feeding a soldier was six shillings and eightpence a day, plus extra ration coupons.

The inflation rate has risen by 4529% since 1939 if you earned £4.97 that equates to £230 today.The rate rose 52% between 1939-1945. so £230= £7.55.

BenghaziBandit

War Hero
I got 3/- (three shillings) (15p) per day of which I had to send 6d (six pence) (5p) home to my mother, I still have the post-office bank book with the 3/6 she paid in every week!

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Did British (and I suppose German forces) get any death money?
I'm thinking off Band of Brothers in the book and T.V. show they state $10,000 to the famillies of those killed

Latest Threads