Soldier's pay circa 1942?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by vvaannmmaann, Jan 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had The Malta Story on the telly.It made me wonder what they were paying the boys and girls then?
    I tried Googling but got fed up with it,so I thought some smart arrse would know.

2. What makes you think that Arrse would have a smartarse within its membership?

3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I only have a crab pay scale for 1942 but an aircraftsman got 2s(10P) a day on entry

4. According to this;

[​IMG]

5. IIRC there were two rates of pay during WWII a higher rate for 'Colours' & a lower rate for conscripts.

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Did they pay tax and food accomodation etc ?

7. By what I've been told it was tax deductible marrieds didn't pay accom etc but singles did.... nothing seemed to change. :(

8. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

No, but they would pay "Barrack damages" and probably had to pay an allotment to parents or wives,a cup of NAAFI tea was 2d and a house cost about £200

9. RN payscales;

[​IMG]

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Did the RN stop pay when the ship was sunk like Merchant Navy did?

11. Hardly, they were paid by the government not the shipping companies.

12. Thanks chaps.When did the spelling of "serjeant" get changed?

13. It hasn't in some regiments! ;-) Around 1950 I think but don't quote me on that.

14. Paras recieved more pay as the still do today, difference was they ACTUALLY dropped into battle. ;-)

15. The early Commando units and the First American Rangers arriving in the UK were treated differently from the rest of the Army: for a variety of reasons they were billeted in civilian homes. It wasn't a compulsory arrangement, the householders were volunteers. The going rate for housing and feeding a soldier was six shillings and eightpence a day, plus extra ration coupons.