Soldiers Off The Streets?

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Gundulph, Nov 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just seen a link for this over in FaceBook, has anyone heard of them? their Mission Statement sounds really good, have they contacted the dedicated group at Sgt Slingsby & Holidays 4 Heroes yet as I think the 3 groups could really work well together if these guys are genuine?

More info on them would be good as they don't appear to have had the ARRSE inspection of Verification yet 8) :

[​IMG]

Click on the pic above to go to their Website.

2. i hate to bring politics in but i think this maybe a B'n'P front, i've read on 'tinternet that they have a few ex-servicemen groups

3. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I think what's bothering me at the moment is that there are so may organisations popping up.

In one sense, I'm obviously delighted, the The Royal Princes will undoubtedly do some good with their new project.

Meanwhile, Help4Heroes hoovers in the Charity £££ at an alarming rate, and yet I'm still unclear what it actually does ... and closer to home I have Holidays4Heroes (Jersey) who muscled in on our established name (with the suffix) but only do trips to Jersey (where, I can assure you, it's cold and wet and miserable at the moment).

I do honestly think some consolidation would be in order. There are just TOO MANY people jumping on the Sympathy Bus, and they just make things complicated.

IMO, of course

4. Thats been happening for quite some time, even before Help4heroes came along there were several large forces charities duplicating costs.

5. Holidays for Heroes Jersey is a genuine charity doing what it can on it's own patch. It started completely independently about the same time as the ARRSE org, but has not lifted the "H4H" tag in any way. It does not fund-raise outside CI, so she not conflict with activities here. Also it's beneficiaries are a different group: it goes well beyond the Herrick/Telic veterans as it takes referrals from RBL, The "Not Forgotten"Association, SPVA and SSAFA as well as direct from Headley Court.

6. So does Holidays4Heroes/Sgt Slingsby...read the website for details......:)

7. Holidays for Heroes Jersey is a genuine charity doing what it can on it's own patch. It started completely independently about the same time as the ARRSE org, but has not lifted the "H4H" tag in any way. It does not fund-raise outside CI, so she not conflict with activities here. Also it's beneficiaries are a different group: it goes well beyond the Herrick/Telic veterans as it takes referrals from RBL, The "Not Forgotten"Association, SPVA and SSAFA as well as direct from Headley Court.

8. You might be right there:
    http://www.nothingbritish.com/wp-content/themes/default/images/StolenValour.pdf

9. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Hello! Check the avatar :wink:

I do not touch anything on the Rock.
    You have primacy here, and good luck to you. :wink:
    I tried early on to get some sort of liaison, but Richard didn't seem interested.

Whatever, we're all doing our thing, and that's good news for those who deserve a bit of special care and attention.

BTW, we do actually look after [in our own way] all Vets of all Services of all generations. We do a lot of things for a lot of people.
    I'm not getting into a kicking match, though.
    Email me at sgt.slingsby@gmail.com ... I'm just up the road :lol:

10. Well, I messaged the guy who put the Soldiers off the Streets link in one of my Groups and didn't receive a reply. I personally think their Mission Statement is excellent, but I think the people behind Sgt Slingsby & Holidays 4 Heroes would be the best people to take this mission statement, combine it with what they have been doing so far and launch their Charity, they have the backing and help of most of the 50,000+ of us right here in ARRSE, we trust them implicitly as we know what they Have done and Are doing.

If I had the money right now to help them gain Charity status I would give it as I know so many here would also, imagine Hols 4 Heroes with their own vans, dedicated shelter and office, we know those in need would get the help they deserve and families would continue to be sent on much needed holidays. A shame those who run Help 4 Heroes have not seen here what this small dedicated team of volunteers has been doing and offered a % of their vast funds to get them fully up and running.

11. That's a bit rich - surely Holidays4Heroes & Help Them Out are a couple of the new organisations popping up? Just because the ARRSE community knows it's all legit and above board, other people may have the same concerns as you, but focused on the organisations you're involved with.

HELP for HEROES offers "practical, direct support for our wounded". The website details all of the projects in progress and grants made to other Forces charities: click HERE. If the website doesn't give you enough information, why don't you call HELP for HEROES on 0845 673 1760 or 01980 846 459 and ask for Mark Elliott - he'll be more than happy to tell you what H4H does and its ethos.

Edited now I've seen this:

HELP for HEROES focus is now on the Recovery Centre project, of which more details in the link above. These centres will cost several million apiece and will benefit the Forces community enormously.

12. Dozy in fairness, people here are always sceptical and rightly so about things like Help for Heros which have been set up by the corporate media and such like. It's ok to have big projects ongoing, however these are taking a lot of resources. The flash to bang of H4H is far too long.
    The publicity that is gained by the media by putting an H4H tag on it is immeasurable.
    Believe me, the corporates see this as an opportunity to further their profile first and foremost.
    By the time these centres are fully up to speed (a thing which our government should be providing) it will be far too late for a lot of cases I'm afraid.
    H4H is a good thing, does great work, but just how many serving or ex serving are in the hierachy. It is in danger of becoming a machine for corporates and media, which was a main reason for them setting it up in the first place.

VH

13. I disagree completely with the above. It wasn't set-up by the media, the media have joined in as time went by. Love 'em or loathe 'em, the media and 'slebs' jump on bandwagons and as far as I'm concerned, anything that puts a few more pennies in the coffers of ANY Forces charity is a good thing.

There is also no bureaucratic heirarchy and VERY few paid positions at H4H. Everything that can possibly be got for free is blagged, what can be borrowed is borrowed and an enormous number of people are volunteers. When I have time this week I'll post information about how H4H is staffed and structured. People are free to make up their own minds, but there seem to be a lot of sour grapes about H4H and implications of 'facts' that bear no relation to the truth.

14. I'm not saying they dont do good as they do.
    But believe me anything that is driven by The Sun and such like should always be viewed with scepticism.

It wasn't that long ago that H4H had it's assets frozen pending an investigation into how the charity was run.

When the Charity resembles a corporation itself alarm bells should always ring. Ever wonder why H4H invests in 'Property' rather than give a war widow £400 to pay her mortgage that month.

VH