Soldiers off the Street!

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Robbo82, Dec 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all.
    My Dad is helping out with a cause called soldiers off the street. I personally think this is a Great cause though they want to become a Charity but need more help to get there. If anyone is interested the website is:
    http://www.soldiersoffthestreet.com/index.html

Would also like to hear your views about this cause.

Thanks

Gazza :D :salut:

2. Ask the peeps from Holidays 4 Heroes (aka Help Them Out). They will give pointers. They chose not to list as a charity because of the cost and heavy regulation.

3. thanks MM.
    But trust me they are not a bnp front :)

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

No I won't trust you.

5. There's already a charity doing this...

http://www.veterans-aid.net/

I think setting another one to do the same thing is fairly pointless and will detract from the good work already being done by Veterans Aid.

You'd be better off teaching your Dad how to use Google and then put him in touch with Veterans Aid, who will be pleased to hear from him.

Adjt

6. So because someone USED to be a bnp member he isn't allowed to set up a cause to help anyone (ex service personel)?? Causes and charities should not be political they should be focusing on what they are raising funds for. I do not support bnp but if it helps homeless ex servicemen/women then I will support the cause no matter what the background is of the fundraisers aslong as the cause/charity is genuine.

7. Fair point.
    I am not sure if they were aware of the fact that there was another charity doing the same thing out there.

8. of course they would get the same help as EVERYONE else. As I said I do not believe the bnp are behind the cause. There maybe an ex member but not the party itself. If they did manage to become a charity then they would be gouverned by some charity association where they can't do wwhat they want.

9. well I'm not trying to convince anyone. Just putting my opinion across as I see it. Donations should only be given if you believe in the cause some people will and some wont.

10. I suppose a simple way ahead is to wait until charitable status is achieved; this would both deal with questions of political affiliation, and also allow Gift Aid on contributions making cash donations that bit more valuable.

11. True.
    I hope they do reach the ammount needed to become a charity as thats their first aim

12. They shouldn't bother their arses. If Veterans Aid already does what these guys propose to do, we will have two similar charities. If I had to choose one over the other to give my hard earned wedge to, I'd go for the one which doesn't have BNP affiliations (Whether the guy's left their party or not, a leopard never changes it's spots.)

Edited to add; Let's just suppose this charity/cause takes off, and raises thousands of pounds. I'd bet a penny to a pound of shit that the BNP would stick their names all over it come election time, regardless of what SOTS and it's followers are saying at the moment.

13. The bnp may try to stick their nose in and it will get bitten off. there's going to be a lot of court action against nothing british and the bnp if they continue to smear sots. do you want to put your money where you mouth is it will help them with legal costs.