Soldiers not marching?

Certain regiments of the RAC were doing the ‘tactical shuffle’ a long time ago.
Never stopped one wag from recycling the old joke “fall in, and I’ll march you there. It’ll save you from walking”.

In Hythe today. Stopped by the ranges at the road works on the A259. Whilst waiting a gaggle of about 30 soldiers sauntered by, in loose formation heading up to Serial 12.
Is this normal now? I'm not upset or outraged - just curious!

You should have spoken to their Sergeant and advised him to give them some extra foot drill during their NAAFI break. After all, their slovenly shambling reflects very badly on the Platoon NCOs.

Keen young Sergeants love to receive friendly advice from experienced ex-soldiers.

Try it next time.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is the word bimble not in use for such movements any more?

You should have spoken to their Sergeant and advised him to give them some extra foot drill during their NAAFI break. After all, their slovenly shambling reflects very badly on the Platoon NCOs.

Keen young Sergeants love to receive friendly advice from experienced ex-soldiers.

Try it next time.
Also, don't forget to point out that they should be wearing their berets properly. Not like Andy Capp. Soldiers love that too.

For extra effect, point out how soldiers today get it far too cushy compared to the good old days in BAOR. And you won that war, at great cost to your liver as you were issued with the mighty SLR, the famous THAT rifle.

Modern soldiers love to hear tales from old cold war veterans.

Normal.
The ONLY squaddies who actually march as a body of men on my range are Recruits and the Marines.

The rest look like a camo'd up shower of shiite!
5wfq5x.jpg

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
God's teeth man! Are you implying that enlisted ranks are able to choose when to use equipment that is issued?

I'm still miffed at getting 30 pressups for daring to wear my NI gloves one night on Ex Hunters Moon, "Oohhhhh....is Mrs ******* little boy feeling the cold? Over there, 30, that will warm you up"
Brings back happy memories of being forbidden to shiver while absolutely threaders in the rain/wind.

“Why the **** are you shivering recruit HB?!”

…long pause while I tried to think of an answer… “It’s the booze Sergeant!”

Cue muffled giggling from the entire troop, and training team members. Closely followed by vigorous running around.

Normal.
The ONLY squaddies who actually march as a body of men on my range are Recruits and the Marines.

The rest look like a camo'd up shower of shiite!
Well, in your day it must have looked very smart on the ranges, all that white buff kit and brass, the red coats and volley fire.......

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, in your day it must have looked very smart on the ranges, all that white buff kit and brass, the red coats and volley fire.......
No.
Don't be silly.

It was shiny plated armour, headdress with plumes and sword short. Stabbing, for the use of.

That Julius Caesar was a twat of an RCO as well.

smallbore

Old-Salt
Don't know what the world is coming to. We all knew that the phalanx collapsed when you got out of step.

I blame the fashion for Persian skirmishers.

Now that makes sense . . . Wait! Hands in pockets!!! . . . It's anarchy, sheer ******* anarchy.
you'll be distressed to learn that modern issue smocks have a fleece lined pocket specifically for you to put your hands in.

you'll be distressed to learn that modern issue smocks have a fleece lined pocket specifically for you to put your hands in.
It's anarchy I tell you, sheer fucking anarchy

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

It was.

Latest Threads