• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Soldiers Memorial to be cut down....Fire up the Outrage Bus

Guys is their anything we can do to assist this lady ? I have had the mother of one of our young guys killed in Iraq in tears on the phone to me. She is devastated and has wowed to handcuff herself to the tree as a protest.

The Patriotic lady who created this used her own money on her own land to build a heartfelt natural memorial. It is not as if she put up a 80ft Neon Lit Japanese Pagoda without planning permission. Any thoughts/opinions or practical ways that this lady can be supported. Many thanks in advance for anything that the power of ARRSE can do.

Story & link below........

An Essex woman who has planted more than 700 trees in memory of fallen British troops has been told to cut them down.

Each fallen soldier's name is on a plaque at the farm at Rettendon, near Chelmsford.

Chelmsford Borough Council says the memorial did not have planning permission and the land should be returned to agricultural use.

BBC News - Soldiers' memorial to be cut down

Cheers guys I knew that the Power of ARRSE would soon kick in. Lets keep it Polite, Legal & maintain the Moral High Ground in the highest traditions of ARRSE & HM Forces.

Bit more on Chelmsford councils website, all sounds a bit odd ?
Chelmsford Borough Council - White House Farm, Rettendon
White House Farm, Rettendon

Chelmsford Borough Council is taking no action against trees on this site. Planning permission is not required to plant trees, so the Council has no plans to remove them from this site.

Friday 17 September 2010

The Council is concerned with the destruction of the natural countryside and acted on complaints received from local residents.

The Council believes this to be a rouse in an attempt to bypass the planning system. The owner of this land does not have planning permission to use this site for car boot sales and the Council has sent a letter, asking them to remove all related timber structures, fences, hard surface area roadways, portaloos and any planting including trees and/or hedging that are acting as a means of enclosure in association with this unauthorised use.

The Council has no plans to take action against the war memorial trees on this site.

White House Farm, Rettendon

Chelmsford Borough Council is taking no action against trees on this site. Planning permission is not required to plant trees, so the Council has no plans to remove them from this site.

Friday 17 September 2010

The Council is concerned with the destruction of the natural countryside and acted on complaints received from local residents.

The Council believes this to be a rouse in an attempt to bypass the planning system. The owner of this land does not have planning permission to use this site for car boot sales and the Council has sent a letter, asking them to remove all related timber structures, fences, hard surface area roadways, portaloos and any planting including trees and/or hedging that are acting as a means of enclosure in association with this unauthorised use.

The Council has no plans to take action against the war memorial trees on this site
So basically, this is a non-story and we can finally get the Outrage Bus in for it's major servicing, that is well overdue!

This is a disgrace! It's not as if it was some chavesque roadside shrine to a dead joyrider (which they allow).

Which party has overall majority in that council?

I smell Marxism.

This is a disgrace! It's not as if it was some chavesque roadside shrine to a dead joyrider (which they allow).

Which party has overall majority in that council?

I smell Marxism.
Oi fuckwit, have you actually read Slick's post? I even bolded the bits in mine for the likes of you. :roll:

"The Council believes this to be a rouse in an attempt to bypass the planning system. The owner of this land does not have planning permission to use this site for car boot sales and the Council has sent a letter, asking them to remove all related timber structures, fences, hard surface area roadways, portaloos and any planting including trees and/or hedging that are acting as a means of enclosure in association with this unauthorised use"

I think things need clarifying, Is the owner pulling a fast one and actually using the sympathy bus for ulterior reasons?

The owner of this land does not have planning permission to use this site for car boot sales

But you don't need planning permission to hold car boot sales!

(for up to 14 days per year)

"The Council believes this to be a rouse in an attempt to bypass the planning system. The owner of this land does not have planning permission to use this site for car boot sales and the Council has sent a letter, asking them to remove all related timber structures, fences, hard surface area roadways, portaloos and any planting including trees and/or hedging that are acting as a means of enclosure in association with this unauthorised use"

I think things need clarifying, Is the owner pulling a fast one and actually using the sympathy bus for ulterior reasons?

Adam(KOS) is correct in his assumption here i think and it does begin to smell the more you dig. Regarding the tree's this sounds a honorable way of a personal remembrance to the fallen, but is this person trying to whip up support for a car boot site using this as a cover. I think so.

What does The_Stickman have to say about this?

I will not apologise. I was sent this link from a mother of one of ours. Natural Justice will now take place. I thank the members of ARRSE for providing good Int now in the Public Domain. Many thanks indeed to ARRSE for their input & closure on this issue.

An apology might be in order I reckon.
I don't think it's for stick-man to apologise, I do think however, that he might feel 'used' if we are correct.

Or, someone in the council is being very clever. (?) Poor research by the reporter too, I thought it was usual policy to obtain a response from the other side before spouting off on air.

Questions questions que.............

Then there is the conspiracy theory Stickmann could be the landowner herself ?

Or, someone in the council is being very clever. (?) Poor research by the reporter too, I thought it was usual policy to obtain a response from the other side before spouting off on air.
If you had listened to the ITN report last night they did cover both sides of the story, and the BBC version seems to but cut rather short.

The owner of the land comes across as a total Chav and a chancer who is trying to make some margin out of planting a few trees in the corner of her field that she uses in contravention of planning permissions.

If someone had just left flowers on the site and a "my little solja" card following a car crash, the reaction on here would be totally different.

She has no connection with the Forces, and the memorial was only started in Feb last year, complete with back dated plaques for OP BANNER, Korea etc etc. Why wait until 2009 to create this place, when according to their own website they had the idea six years earlier? Why the sudden interest in charitable activity after 16 years of running the car boot sale?

Some relevant links:

living memorial ::

RETTENDON: Living memorial to lost comrades

This has the stench of profiteering all over it.

Latest Threads