• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Soldiers live in Slums

It disgusts me that nothing has been spent on refurbishing the blocks in Cav Bks. It was a condemed shithole when I was there in '97 and I'll wager nothing has been done since then. The mess was a fcuking timewarp back to the 1900's in India....all very nice but a stinking hole.

Love the way its just Unfortunate NOT UNACCEPTABLE just unfortunate
Missing your favourite tv programme is unfortunate FFS not having enough money for a kebab thats unfortunate
Living in squalor is UNACCEPTABLE

That is totally disgusting the way our soldiers are being treated
Where is our p.m. he wants to have a full inquiry and find out why our soldiers are being treated so bad

Living in such disgusting conditions is not right what about our soldiers human rights in this country

I am sick to the back teeth of getting worse accomodation and priveliges (Think phone cards, free tv licence with no rebate for all the time I can't watch the telly cos I am stuck in some desert shinehole etc etc) than murderers, rapists and kiddy fiddlers.

I reckon the way ahead is to use a camera phone and take pictures of the squalor most of us have to endure and then send em to all the top newspaper editors. Don't bother with politicians as they really could not give a rats ass unless it affects the latest MORI poll.

From the pen of CGS:

I am acutely aware that the poor standard of some Single Living Accommodation is a major cause of dissatisfaction. Indeed, I have explained our concerns to the new Secretary of State. However, we are addressing the issue as quickly as we can on a ‘worst first’ basis. This policy means that not all accommodation in a single barracks is upgraded at the same time. ECAB have considered this implication, but we are clear the current policy makes the greatest inroads into the problem in the shortest time.
Yes - it's in sh!t state but this is not explicitly a failure of the chain of command. Yes, it far easier to whinge at 'them' from the safety of an anonymous internet ID then it is to write to the PM, but everything that can be done is being done. Unfortunately, there is no quick win here -Z type accomodation is being rolled out but it takes time, and as CGS says, it is being done on a 'worst case first' basis.

I'm not having a go at anyone here before I get the inevitable slagging for sticking up for the chain of command. There is a significant problem in this area; it is being addressed but it will take time. It's hardly as if the Moron is broaching something we aren't already aware of, is it?

At the end of the day they,ve got you by the bollox lads. You,ve signed on the dotted line & come under Mil law so theres no real ways to protest other than through the redress system. The politions could,nt give a fcuk as they,ve got your signiture & have you squared nicely out the way. This issue is just another reason for some type of federation. Something I personally would,nt like to see, but until we have a govenment who stands up for & treats our AF with the respect it deserves its something that needs to happen sooner than later. It makes my blood boil to know thousands of iliegal immigrants get better houseing & treatment than the defenders of our Islands. One day people, the straw that breaks the camels back will be laid. Sad but true.

LT.

There is an issue though about funding and the rate of improvement of Single Living Accomodation.

This from this year's AFPRB Report:

5.6 We continue to receive mixed reports on funding for accommodation improvements.
In evidence for our 2005 Report, we were made aware that, when the Secretary of State
announced the £1 billion Project SLAM2 in March 2001, only 63 per cent of the required
funding was secured. As a result of MOD’s funding constraints, the target for Project
SLAM, which was originally intended to produce around 30,000 bedspaces by 2013,
had been significantly reduced to 17,600 bedspaces by 2013. MOD proposed that
8,800 bedspaces were to be delivered over the first five years and a further 8,800 in the
succeeding five years. In evidence for this report, we were told that, as a result of
funding taken as saving measures in previous years being returned to the budget and
additional funding from Defence Estates (DE), the target for the first five years had been
increased marginally from 8,800 to over 9,000 against an original target of 15,000.
It sounds as if the charge for this accomodation at Hounslow should be NIL, if not actually qualifying for field conditions.

i reacon we ought to find the worst singles accomodation and look you up in it. Back to the subject i agree with LT and that posibly the reason for singles accomodation being so bad and married tends to be better is that you dont have to be a soldier to be in married accomodation and therefore can complain without having to worry about a very scary RSM jumping on you

pentwyn said:
That is totally disgusting the way our soldiers are being treated
Where is our p.m. he wants to have a full inquiry and find out why our soldiers are being treated so bad

Living in such disgusting conditions is not right what about our soldiers human rights in this country
Well said Pentwyn, soldiers need all the support they can get. By the way, nice sig. :D

Percy_Pigeon

War Hero
Book Reviewer
First of all I am not condoning the conditions these soldiers are living in. Conditions like these are clearly not acceptable. It’s hard to see what can be done in the short term if they spend on this they don’t spend on something else

My last regiment received a Slam/Alenbrook block and no one would live in there (they were forced) due to the rent hike.

Darth_Doctrinus said:
From the pen of CGS:

I am acutely aware that the poor standard of some Single Living Accommodation is a major cause of dissatisfaction. Indeed, I have explained our concerns to the new Secretary of State. However, we are addressing the issue as quickly as we can on a ‘worst first’ basis. This policy means that not all accommodation in a single barracks is upgraded at the same time. ECAB have considered this implication, but we are clear the current policy makes the greatest inroads into the problem in the shortest time.
Yes - it's in sh!t state but this is not explicitly a failure of the chain of command. Yes, it far easier to whinge at 'them' from the safety of an anonymous internet ID then it is to write to the PM, but everything that can be done is being done. Unfortunately, there is no quick win here -Z type accommodation is being rolled out but it takes time, and as CGS says, it is being done on a 'worst case first' basis.

I'm not having a go at anyone here before I get the inevitable slagging for sticking up for the chain of command. There is a significant problem in this area; it is being addressed but it will take time. It's hardly as if the Moron is broaching something we aren't already aware of, is it?
Darth I must disagree with you in your assertion that 'this is not explicitly a failure of the chain of command' that is exactly what it is. I can recall the same types of single accommodation complaints being made in the sixties, seventies, eighties, and nineties. if that is not a failure tell me what is? Why is it that many of our universities are able to produce acceptable accommodation for students to live in over a much shorter tenure and cater for more students than are in our armed forces? Is it something to do with money and conflicting interests and no one to bang the drum loud enough for those in single accommodation? It is high time the COC wised up and realised that their most precious asset are the service men & women they recruit. If any company in the civil sector had failed to meet the needs of its staff over such a long period of time it would have been out of business or a job. It is high time the COC gripped this problem or it may be the accommodation problem sorts itself out, there wont be any soldiers left to accommodate!

Skynet - I'm shure the 'CoC' do realise the value of their people. I've only been a soldier for some 15 years or so, and if I thought otherwise I'd have left long ago. What do you want the 'CoC' to do? Conjure up money that doesn't exist?

I think you should probably read the latest CGS' Report, and get an idea of exactly how much this issue bothers the Great Man and his team. The problem lies with the stratosperic levels of 'command' above him unfortunately, and that is where I agree that it is a 'CoC' issue. That and the fact that there simply isn't the money to go round, and where money has been put aside, it takes time to build the accomodation that is required. After all (and I say again) it isn't as though this is a completely unknown problem, and new accomodation is being built all the time.

And I think you insult a great many good people in the Army with this phrase:

It is high time the COC wised up and realised that their most precious asset are the service men & women they recruit.
Certainly my soldiers have always been, and will continue to be, my highest priority.

Whether we are Central Government's highest priority is a very different question...

Without wishing to appear trite is it not the responsibility of the CoC to ensure that they do everything possible to endure that their CoC is equally aware of the concerns expressed within this thread. This needs to be done in such a way that individual servicemen and women can see it has occurred. It seems that it is the apparent lack of concern and or action by our CoC is what is at the root of our disatisfaction.

in simple terms they seem to talk to talk but not walk the walk. Apologies for that dreadful Americanism.

Darth_Doctrinus said:
Skynet - I'm shure the 'CoC' do realise the value of their people. I've only been a soldier for some 15 years or so, and if I thought otherwise I'd have left long ago. What do you want the 'CoC' to do? Conjure up money that doesn't exist?

I think you should probably read the latest CGS' Report, and get an idea of exactly how much this issue bothers the Great Man and his team. The problem lies with the stratosperic levels of 'command' above him unfortunately, and that is where I agree that it is a 'CoC' issue. That and the fact that there simply isn't the money to go round, and where money has been put aside, it takes time to build the accomodation that is required. After all (and I say again) it isn't as though this is a completely unknown problem, and new accomodation is being built all the time.

And I think you insult a great many good people in the Army with this phrase:

It is high time the COC wised up and realised that their most precious asset are the service men & women they recruit.
Certainly my soldiers have always been, and will continue to be, my highest priority.

Whether we are Central Government's highest priority is a very different question...
Darth You seem to have missed the point. Excuses for poor single accommodation have been made for the last 50 years or more to my knowledge. To my knowledge various CGS and the COC have been been putting out the same platitudes of how they value service personnel etc. However with the exception of a few showcase barracks, in general, the problem remains the same that of a large pool of unsatisfactory accommodation. It may be that in order to solve the problem the MOD needs to give more priority to this area of the defence budget. This decision is within the gift of the CGS. Your assertion that I insult a great many good people in the army shows a degree of muddled thinking, may it be the case that the COC is insulting a great many of our young servicemen & women by not meeting their reasonable expectations to be able to enjoy a reasonable standard of living when they are not on operations? Many service personnel complain that the pace of dealing with this important issue is that of a snail going backwards. What is the cost to the defence budget of not being able to retain its young service personnel because of issues concerning the reasonable expectations of service personnel? There is little point in having sophisticated weapons systems if you are unable to retain the right calibre of service personnel to use them effectively. It would seem that you are reaching this tipping point.

Latest Threads