Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan to get anti-sniper device

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Nov 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan to get life saving anti-sniper device

British and American forces fighting the guerilla insurgence in Iraq and Afghanistan could soon be protected by an anti-sniper device that can pinpoint the position of the shooter within a fraction of a second.

By Richard Alleyne, Science Correspondent
    Last Updated: 7:58PM GMT 21 Nov 2008

The device uses acoustic technology to calculate the exact position of the sniper fire Photo: CROWN
    The palm-sized device designed by Qinetiq, the British defence firm that was once the government research laboratories, is pinned to the uniform and uses acoustic technology to calculate the exact position of the rifle fire.
    Then a electronic voice passes on the "bearing and range" to the soldier allowing him to jump to safety and return fire.
    More on the link
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/3496790/Soldiers-in-Iraq-and-Afghanistan-to-get-life-saving-anti-sniper-device.html

2. :? Doesnt that mean the sniper has already fired before we know where it came from ???

Meaning someone has to be shot first ?
    The only thing it does is warn where the sniper is to stop follow on shots ....bullets travel pretty fast and i dont think the poor sod getting shot at is going to be able to move fast enough to dodge the shot despite the warnings ?

still its better than nothing !

keep up the work Q

3. Which would you prefer? A sniper firing off a round then trotting off, or firing that round and getting an accurate barrage back? A very nice deterrent don't you think.

4. Bit ambitious. I'd work on getting it fully functional and proving its basic function for a tom stood on a corner (single shot, single target, simple environment) instead of claiming all that.

As for audio warnings: "Look to your left. No, your other left! Up! Up a bit more. Bit more. No, down. You've gone past him. Up. Oh for fook's sake."*

* Yes, it can also detect where you are looking/aiming. Honest.

5. Sounds like a lot of Qinetiq hot, PR air to me, as WhatNow said.

How can the device filter out sound from the shot bouncing off buildings and all the other intrusions? Might work on a one-way range, but I wouldn't want to rely on it in nasty places.

6. It's nothing new, there have been sniper locating system in use for a few years now, this ones just miniturised to be worn instead of on a vehicle.

7. Old tech again, the device was in The Engineer magazine about 5 years ago, same as the bluetooth FIST kit. We didn't get that as it's a german made bit of kit!

8. Major AMerican cities have had devices that send the police Grid references of any shootings that happen since at least 2000

9. Great bit of kit..........

........but you try getting a battery for one off the CQ.

10. Anyone old enough to remember a thing called "Claribell" which we had in NI? Only saw it once though, in N.Armagh in 1979 FFFS! , only fitted to vehicles though, four sensor heads as I recall, and you also got an Air Pistol which you used to test the system.

This sounds much the same, though understandably it's much smaller.

11. Systems based on a similar principle were used in the First World War for artillery locating (on the reports of the guns themselves). At least three microphones and measure the times that each microphone receives the sound. The further apart the microphones are and the accuracy with which they measure the time of sound received both determine the accuracy of the system. To make an acceptably accurate system with a small baseline needs very accurate determination of the arrival time at each sensor.

12. Yep I remember it. At least one of the sangars at Rosemount had it and some of our old Makralon Lannies had it fitted.

13. We trialed one on a Landrover in Belfast and it recorded the first and only 360 degree contact of the troubles.

Oh and don't forget according to the Press anyone with a gun is a "sniper". No-one ever gets hit by a stray round.

14. I do see the point ....however a sniper (or reasonably trained nasty bloke) is going to pick a place of his choosing not yours ,where cover is good and he/she could make their escape unhindered and out of view.
    (Not a sniper person so feel free to correct me)

All the magic box does is tell you where your mate has been shot from. The yanks have a bigger version which fires a 50 cal back at the position (IIRC) .
    However whould you trust a machine and let rip when you could be held accountable in a court of law? Rules of engagement would still apply?

feel free to correct me there are better informed people on this site than me ....thankfully! :twisted:

15. IIRC Claribel was a radar not acoustic. There have been acoustic devices around for many years, the Canadians have been using them for a while, however, these aren't handheld.