Soldiers in Helmand unearth British rifles lost in 1880 mass

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by eveyoz, Jun 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/soldiers-in-helmand-unearth-british-rifles-lost-in-1880-massacre-842497.html

2. I seem to recall Maiwand Barracks being a very popular posting, as well.

3. They sell loads of old rifles at the tuesday market in Bastion, they were going for about $300 I think. A good investment if you know what your looking for.

4. It will have something to do with Sergey, Dumovoy and RCT(V), although I don't think its Kosovo

5. Same rifle used at Ishlandwanha and Maiwand; bit of a lesson here? You can also pick 'em up in Souks East of Suez, complete with ammo if you ask nicely. Heaven knows what an ATO would say about the state of either although the marble-sized ball would probably still stop Zulu/Fuzzy-Wuzzy or Afghan. Maiwand is also where Dr Watson, of Sherlock Holmes fame, claimed to have been wounded.

6. Yes, don't get outnumbered 15 to 1 without a healthy supply of mealy bags to duck behind! :D

8. Meanwhile in Darra production of "genuine" Maiwand rifles has gone into overdrive:

Attached Files:

9. Or alternatively:

A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail.

10. Unfortunately (according to a recently returned informant) the powers that be have stopped the export to the UK of these antique weapons as (get this) they are damaging the existing market for these weapons!

11. Or alternatively:

A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail.[/quote]
    then your subordinates go bat-shit slaughter everyone they can find and pile there heads up neatly by your grave stone :twisted:
    think phil shiner might have a problem with that approach just had him to the pile sorted :twisted:
    maybe a different poem

12. I saw 60 odd rifles and many pistols. Every one of them were fakes, some good, most bad. I doubt that any soldiers deployed will get their hands on a genuine Martini-Henry.

Real ones are extremely few and far between. Buyer beware!

13. I did the RSOI package in Khandahar today and we were told that we could no longer take back the rifles, The reason was that many of them are fake and therefor not that old (they are supposed to be over 100 years old if you want to send them back), I do find it a bit suspicious especially as when I was here last year we were told we could only take back 2 then some senior officer cornered the market by sending back 20+. Maybe hes the reason for damaging the market.