Soldiers honoured for courage under fire

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Sep 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A SERGEANT in the Parachute Regiment has won the Military Cross for saving the lives of a group of soldiers on foot who were pinned down by enemy fire in southern Iraq.

Sergeant James Newell, 33, of the 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment, commanded a team of armoured Land Rovers as they were driven into the heart of the gunfight to rescue their fellow paratroopers.

Up to 40 gunmen had attacked the paratroopers as they went on foot patrol in as-Samawah on Janury 21. Sergeant Jewell, who has two brothers in 2 Para, drove twice into the middle of the exchange of fire and rescued four soldiers at a time, getting out to provide covering fire as the men climbed in.

Sergeant Newell, who lives in Colchester with his wife, Andrea, and son, Ben, 7, is one of 64 members of the Armed Forces honoured for bravery and service on operations, announced by the Ministry of Defence yesterday.

Captain Kevin Ivison, 25, a bomb-disposal officer, who was based near Basra, was awarded the George Medal for defusing a second terrorist bomb after an explosive device killed a colleague, Captain Richard Holmes, who was posthumously awarded the Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service.

Fusilier Daniel Smith, 21, a medic of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, was also awarded the George Medal for giving first aid to colleagues whom he rescued from a burning Land Rover. Major Matt Bacon, of the Intelligence Corps, died in the incident.,,3-2348173,00.html
  2. Good man, yet another one of the lads doing a great job in a tough place.
  3. The others that were mentioned didn't do too badly either :wink:
  4. Where is the more timely reporting of these incidents? Why do we have to wait for the Medal awards to know just what sterling service we are getting from some extremely brave men?
    Just think - those two t*ats in 10 and 11 Downing Street get ten times the money and all we hear, see and have forced down our throats is the sort of cr*p they produce as their daily work.
  5. Jim Newell was my full screw in training- tough old cookie to say the least!!
  6. Good work all of them.

I think that the PARA Cpl killed this week should be up for something posthumously in the next round of awards.
  7. Outstanding.
  8. Outstanding work.
    I worked briefly with Capt Holmes in AA and his posthumous award is most thoroughly deserved, as is everyone's mentioned I'm certain.
  9. These men are a credit to the british armed forces. Hat doffed to them all.

10. I tip my hat to them all, there's a article in the Metro today about the 64 members of the Armed Forces being presented medals. Cannot give link as website not updated yet.

Amazing what you can do to save your fellow squaddie when the adrenalin is pumping. Not sure I could keep my hands steady enough to difuse a bomb having just seen your oppo being blown up by the first one.

Edited to add link:
  11. A hero, every one.
  12. Was at Strensall with him in '94. Thats where he got his nickname - under 8 min BPFA (can't remember the exact time). Thought he'd left but obviously not. Good lad too. Just shame he was a Ginger!

Well done Speedy and the rest of the award holders.
  13. Certainly puts my days work sharply into perspective. Magnificent work chaps.

Stay safe.
  14. I'm sure that Up_and_Hold will correct me on this one but I think there is a good reason for this.

Soldiers don't get written up for a particular medal; a full report of an act of bravery goes up the CoC (who assess its veracity) and then on to an awards committee who apply the various criteria to decide which decoration, if any, is deserved.

This takes time and I think they rightly want to avoid the possibility of the reptiles in the meeja whipping up a 'VCs for everyone' campaign. At least this way ensures that each case is looked at on an even footing.

Could be speeded up though.