Soldiers DO Have Human Rights

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Sven, Apr 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The High Court has just judged that soldiers have human rights on the battle field.

Beeb Report

The judge involved referred only to defective equipment. However should soldiers - and I refer only to being in theatre - have all their human rights protected?

2. I know mate.

I started this thread to develop thoughts on human rights for servicemen and didn't want to divert the other thread

3. Be careful what you wish for. If the entire gamut of human rights is to be implemented, than a serviceman who is wounded or their family if killed will be looking at the decisions made which led to the incident. Therefore an Officer or NCO who has made a poor decision, possibly in a contact, could theoretically be held responsible for infringing on the other parties human rights.

We absolutely have the right to be equipped for any situation that can reasonably be expected, but the nature of our duties means that there will be situations which could not REASONABLY be expected, and there will be poor decisions honestly made.

I am comfortable with the idea - but cautious.

4. Here are a persons human rights as expressed in the HRA. Which are applicable?

* the right to life
    * freedom from torture and degraded treatment
    * freedom from slavery and forced labour
    * the right to liberty
    * the right to a fair trial
    * the right not to be punished for something that wasn't a crime when you did it
    * the right to respect for private and family life
    * freedom of thought, conscience and religion
    * freedom of expression
    * freedom of assembly and association
    * the right to marry or form a civil partnership and start a family
    * the right not to be discriminated against in respect of these rights and freedoms
    * the right to own property
    * the right to an education
    * the right to participate in free elections

5. The only Human rights a soldier should have during battle are the ones that allow him to take life with any means.

This war thing really is not a touchy feely group thing, it can be and sometimes is a bit messy. You put a bee in a jar shake it around and let it go, its going to bite you. thats what is happening to our Armed forces, they are confined "like the coiled spring"ready for action. Then held back due to touch feely regulations.

If your job is to kill people, just get on with it, the winner can decide the rules afterwards.

6. What about Pollies and Apparatchiks out of contact?

7. Is it? I always felt the essence of soldiering was more to endure higher risk than the friendly CIVPOP, i.e you put your life at risk to protect theirs, killing people was a byproduct. At least for the soldiers of modern democracies.

8. I think the essence has changed today, maybe 10-20 years ago the military was there to protect the weak. Sorry I would say now you need to win, then win the hearts and minds (look at eye wrac) not the best example but possibly similiar situations for the future?

9. Unions? Industrial action?

My list came from the government site for the HRA and is the definitive list of rights afforded to people.

I have a few thoughts, one or two of them nightmare scenarios. for instance, if this ruling came before Arnhem what might have happened. If the Falklands happened again with the loss of the Atlantic Conveyor, would the advances have to be put on hold because of a lack of vital equipment?

10. How common are bee bites?

11. Depends :oops: on where they nibble on you

12. See additions. The rest are so airy fairy ideals that you can have them if you want.

13. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

The Laws of unintended consequences will come in to play here.

For those in Command it is now another item to consider. If I order x to go and take y because y is shooting at z but they do not have all the kit am I going to be sued by x or x family if it goes Pete Tong (as is the wont in War).

It is a tricky one and we will only really know how it affects when people are wearing nice suits and stood before the Judge.