Soldiers deaths were avoidable - Coroner

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Jul 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

2. A crucial radio log had gone missing, he said.

Presumably it is in the same cupboard as the weapon issue sheets from the Deepcut armoury.

Another glorious day for the MoD. I wonder if SoS will make a statement-or is today a "Scotland" day for him.
  3. Someone help me out here, give me an Army insight:

The beeb report: "The inquest heard that the pair, who were serving with the Queen's Royal Lancers, had been fired on by a British Black Watch tank crew."

Last time I checked (and I am very ready to be proven wrong on this, being a jolly jack tar matelot dark blue type) the Black Watch were an infantry regiment? And the tank was RTR? Did they mean Black Watch battlegroup? The Times had a similar one: "The Black Watch tank fired on the Fusiliers tank near the Shatt al-Basra canal in southern Iraq in March 2003, four days into the invasion".

To me this looks like sloppy, misleading, inaccurate reporting, but I wanted to check if I've missed something - is it common language in the Army to refer to battlegroups as though they were regiments (e.g. would someone in the QRL say 'I was in Telic 1 with the RRF' or would they say 'I was in Telic 1 with the RRF BG'?) - or is this just shoddy journalism?

If the latter, give me the facts and I'll change the world by writing a stiff angry from Manchester to the Times ;-)
  4. The Tank was 2RTR not Black Watch, already talked about in the RAC Forum.
  5. 'If it's got tracks, and a turney thing on top with a long pointy bit sticking out, it's a T-A-N-K.'

I found that in a BBC training manual for journo's to be embedded on Telic 37, hope it helps.
  6. thanks for the steer scarletto