• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Soldiers battlefield safety

#1
Does ensuring soldiers’ battlefield safety justify any expense on the public purse?

This is an essay title that has been set to myself and a number of fellow subalterns. What are peoples views and opinions on this?
 
#4
does winning carry a cash prestige or is it just prestige:

I'd be splitting hairs over any - 'any' as in none, or 'any' as in "as much as we can afford however much that may be".

sets up a debate for later paragraphs over the present situation...
 
#5
Bert said:
does winning carry a cash prestige or is it just prestige:

I'd be splitting hairs over any - 'any' as in none, or 'any' as in "as much as we can afford however much that may be".

sets up a debate for later paragraphs over the present situation...

'any' is meant as much as we can afford however much that may be.

There is no prize for winning, nor is this a competition. Just good old junior officer education dished out by our caring CO. (to be handed in by tomorrow night!!!)
 
#7
Firstly, there is no way of ensuring soldier safety. Ways of improving their safety but not ensuring it.
Secondly, and I'm sure that there are people on the boards who know more than me on this, but things like collision avoidance systems on trains, cost lots, probably very little benefit for that cost.
However, it could be argued that the govt has a moral obligation to the soldier since they commit him to battle, and that as such the govt should go further than normal to improve the soldier's safety.

I'm sure you've already thought of this but hope this helps, and that your CO doesn't read ARRSE!!!!
 
#8
Speckled_Jim said:
However, it could be argued that the govt has a moral obligation to the soldier since they commit him to battle, and that as such the govt should go further than normal to improve the soldier's safety.
incredibly well articulated. Indeed, some might say too well articulated; it's such a good point it should be spun out for as long as possible in true essay style-e!
 
#10
Tim - just cut'n paste something from the net and if you get caught, tell your CO that "that's what the Government did to get us into Iraq .... so what did I do wrong??"

Spend your time getting p*ssed and chasing women like any decent subbie should be doing anyway.

Reminds me of that tw*t PL Comd in "Heartbreak Ridge" that gunny Highway had to sort out, too much book learnin' is bad for junior officers.
 
#12
Speckled_Jim said:
Firstly, there is no way of ensuring soldier safety. Ways of improving their safety but not ensuring it.
Secondly, and I'm sure that there are people on the boards who know more than me on this, but things like collision avoidance systems on trains, cost lots, probably very little benefit for that cost.
However, it could be argued that the govt has a moral obligation to the soldier since they commit him to battle, and that as such the govt should go further than normal to improve the soldier's safety.

I'm sure you've already thought of this but hope this helps, and that your CO doesn't read ARRSE!!!!
I think you'll find the modern terminology is that the government 'has a duty of care' for all it's employees from cleaners to the PM. That means that, as a soldier, if you are sent into a dangerous/war situation you should have the right kit to do the job. Safety can't be ensured, but you can go a long way to improve a soldiers chances of survival if not comfort.

I think someone ought to have told them this last year. :roll:
 
#13
Timothy said:
Does ensuring soldiers’ battlefield safety justify any expense on the public purse?
Battlefield safety = protection.
Protection = maintenance of op capability.
Op capability = we win the others lose

Therefore = Yes

Now go and drink some beer.
 
#16
Also
"Does ensuring soldiers’ battlefield safety justify any expense on the public purse?"

baffle your CO ( or is he a terribly bright rubber desk-jonny!) with big words...

Define battlefield safety....is it really like Sainsburys ?
Why justify when it is a given expense ?
Is this part of a thesis he has to do ?

Also type it into google - copy from there...
 
#17
Guys, cheers this is good stuff. Please keep it coming.

This is not an essay writing competition, but part of ongoing Junior Officer education at our unit. The CO is interested to hear our views and gave us all essays to complete including the LE's. This is to develop our military thought and prepare us for future promotion courses.

Trust me I would rather be "out chasing women and getting leathered" as all good subalterns should be, but now H Hour is approaching I need to have a lull in battle from the women and the booze. If this isn't in by friday morning I will be rolling the extras dice (again!)



Sir, if you are reading this, this is not plagarism but thinking outside the box.
 

Latest Threads