Soldiers and killing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by on_leave, Jun 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Load of crap if you ask me. I don't know a single soldier who wouldn't jump at the chance of killing the enemy. I don't know a single soldier who regrets killing them either.
    • Like Like x 10
  2. People like to spout a lot of philosophical or political crap about soldiers killing people. Let me just ask you civvie types this question:

If someone was trying to kill your best mates, how would you react? Bet all the hand-wringing and soul searching would take a back seat.
  3. Why is it always a God botherer who starts sprouting bollux about Ethics
  4. Maybe God told him to?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. The two comments so far deal with whether it is OK to kill people. What the original article said, it seems to me, is that in practice it is difficult to kill people, which is a different matter. That killing someone face to face is hard, that many soldiers do not simply go ahead with it as might be expected. Perhaps someone who has faced this situation might comment about this? (just to make it clear - I am not saying that the earlier posters do not know about it, just that they did not write about it).
  6. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

As it,s a democracy i,ll second that
  7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

There is an example on that link of a coldstreamer making his first kill at 19 in Basra. I was in a similar position - on a cordon, car accelerating towards me. Issued the challenge, safety catch off, target lined up in sights and first pressure taken on the trigger when the guy ducked off down a side road. For quite some time afterwards, i had a sense of guilt for NOT shooting him. If he had been intending something nasty, i thought i had left it too late and in doing so risked my life and those of my mates so felt a bit of a cnut!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Reminds me of a memo about courageous restraint we received in Bastion when I was out there with OPTAG. It basically said he who does not shoot a suicide bomber is braver than he who does. Oh, how we laughed as we threw it in the bin.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Brave? Bollocks to that! If i recall, my thought processes were along the lines of "whats that bloke doing? What the fu... SHIT! SHITSHITSHIT... oh thank ****!" Then i started second guessing myself, which is always a stupid thing to do!
  10. Because they managed to get a word in before you told everyone that you were the first to open fire at someone?
  11. That's the crux of it imho. And no amount of training can stop you doing that, it seems to me. Wounding someone is just as bad. Also bad is making a mistake and drawing fire or giving away a position or cocking up an entire patrol by doing something stupid.

It was a reasonable effort, but you can't really make a successful programme about this subject or indeed waffle about it on the internet.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6

my boss has passed me over a book, i believe its called "on killing". Ive just moved into a new place so ive missplaced it at the minute! i can get the details up soon enough if anyone is interested

i think this is a little exagerated or the american mentality is hugely different to the british. Im yet to whitness anyone afraid of taking a shot and we all seem to recall events instead of lying about them like the article suggests
  13. And once again a brainless fuckwit joins a sensible discussion, My original post was a valid point, if perhaps not to well stated, but It annoys me that members of the church talk about the ethics of killing when it is a subject the know **** all about.
  14. It's pisspoor psychobabble, basically. It assumes that the act of killing is the same whether you're providing covering fire in a sandy place or herding people into a gas chamber.