Soldiers and dogs...

Well, the four legged kind anyway... :D

What is it with soldiers and dogs? Having served on a few foreign adventures it always struck me that where ever we went one of the guys in the platoon would always adopt some mangy mutt sooner or later and religiously look after it (to the point of hours spent combing it with a fork). I am and always have been a dog lover and could see where they were coming from - but why do they do it and are squaddies bigger dog lovers than other sections of the population? Or are we all dogs of war?

Rats has a lot to answer for.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
[Checks forum - not NAAFI Bar, sensible head on...]

Could it be that a dog brings a taste of normality or home to an otherwise ferked up place or situation? Having to care for a dog deflects the mind from the cr@p that you might be living with.

The best traditions of naming adopted dogs seems to continue. In the link there is a dog called AK.
In my time I had Pira on one of the Romeo towers, and then in Bosnia we had Semtex.
The Dutch unit we were working with had Joris, named after their defence minister.

Pira had a couple of puppies and then promptly fcuked off down to Bessbrook with a patrol, dumb woman.
The CO happened to visit the next day, and directed that she be flown back up when his gazelle came to collect him. Didn't look like she enjoyed the experience much.

Check out the way the Gubmint treats the British Soldier, there is a fair feeling of empathy there, and it is always nice to see someone who loves you as opposed to shooting/shouting/throwing bricks at you.

We also had a "semtex" (didn't everybody) in one of the PVCPs in Fermanagh for a while,until it just disapeared one day.

c unts.

Tangent - my pal was at a party and this American female was banging on about how much she loved her cats, couldn't wait to get back to them in the evening, loved being in her big bed with them, their little choochy faces.............

He says, "It must have been terrible having to put them in quarentine when you came to the UK".

She says, "Oh no. When I got the job here I had them put down".

I mean, WTF.

Dwarf said:
Check out the way the Gubmint treats the British Soldier, there is a fair feeling of empathy there, and it is always nice to see someone who loves you as opposed to shooting/shouting/throwing bricks at you.
You could always use the word 'government' you low-brow mong.

Storeman Norman said:
Well, the four legged kind anyway... :D

What is it with soldiers and dogs? Having served on a few foreign adventures it always struck me that where ever we went one of the guys in the platoon would always adopt some mangy mutt sooner or later and religiously look after it (to the point of hours spent combing it with a fork). I am and always have been a dog lover and could see where they were coming from - but why do they do it and are squaddies bigger dog lovers than other sections of the population? Or are we all dogs of war?
Possibly because of the old saying: "The more people I meet, the better I like my dog"? :)

When it comes to loyalty(and in some cases intelligence :roll: )I'd give the average mutt the edge over the average human.

Just thinking...............I wonder what it does to the guts of a starving third world hound to suddenly be eating two ration packs a day?

"Who wants a bit of chokkie wokky?

Well, f'kin me, obviously........ slobber, dribble

When I was in boot troop in El Adam we had a goat that was meant for the pot but in the end none of us had the bottle to blow it away so it lived a short overfed life

There was a dog that hung around the SF base in Cookstown years ago. There was a certain JNCO(that also happned to be an ex policeman) that had a habbit of smearing his gnads in butter and letting this dog lick it off whilst he knocked one off.

Rataplan, the adopted camp dog at FOB Volendam, Afgh.
A couple of weeks ago a Dutch Lt ordered to shoot the dog because the troops didn't have time to look after him and the Afghans didn't feed him because he was friendly towards the Dutch,but showed his teeth to the Afghans.

Rataplan R.I.P

bovvy said:
And the Google Ads are now showing chihuahuas in fancy clothes. Have they never seen a soldiers dog?
I dress my dog up - there is a cracking photo of him in an Army hat. Someone (Toppers) dyed his hair purple once, like he (the dog) noticed. :)

Cloggie said:
Rataplan, the adopted camp dog at FOB Volendam, Afgh.
A couple of weeks ago a Dutch Lt ordered to shoot the dog because the troops didn't have time to look after him and the Afghans didn't feed him because he was friendly towards the Dutch,but showed his teeth to the Afghans.

Rataplan R.I.P

To me, grounds for small explosive object being rolled into cloggie officers tent one dark night

Latest Threads