Soldier with multiple army numbers

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by bohs_man, Nov 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A relation of mine, Pte James Murray, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, was awarded the Military Medal and he is mentioned in the London Gazette on 19/11/1917.
    Having obtained his medal card it seems he served with four different regiments and different service numbers.
    The list is as follows:
    26629 Pte Murray R.D.F
    426318 Labour Corps
    G/30241 Royal Sussex Regt
    608120 Sapper Royal Engineers.

Sadly i can't find his service records, possibly the Luftwaffe had something to do with that.
    So my question is simple really, why different army numbers? :?
    Ps. I am in possesion of his Victory medal, his M.M has been lost over the years somehow! :(

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Before the second world war regimental numbers were regimental as opposed to Army or service numbers!

3. That makes sense, cheers! :eek:

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats ok, its an often asked question but I cant be bothered to be a snide sarky git!

5. bohs man,

What Battalion of the RDF was your relative. I have an interest in the 2nd RDF "last stand" action at Mousetrap Farm on 24/5/15 and also the 7th, 9th and 2nd RDF actions on the Frezenberg during August 1917. Was he involved in any of these actions?

Best regards

FM

6. I believe the 8th bn, but i think these were later amalgamated due to losses. Is the war diary for this regt accessable?

7. Bohs-man

Nearly sure their War Diary is at Kew. I have some stuff on the other RDF units I mentioned but not the 8th.

Regards

FM