• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Soldier with multiple army numbers

A relation of mine, Pte James Murray, Royal Dublin Fusiliers, was awarded the Military Medal and he is mentioned in the London Gazette on 19/11/1917.
Having obtained his medal card it seems he served with four different regiments and different service numbers.
The list is as follows:
26629 Pte Murray R.D.F
426318 Labour Corps
G/30241 Royal Sussex Regt
608120 Sapper Royal Engineers.

Sadly i can't find his service records, possibly the Luftwaffe had something to do with that.
So my question is simple really, why different army numbers? :?
Ps. I am in possesion of his Victory medal, his M.M has been lost over the years somehow! :(

bohs man,

What Battalion of the RDF was your relative. I have an interest in the 2nd RDF "last stand" action at Mousetrap Farm on 24/5/15 and also the 7th, 9th and 2nd RDF actions on the Frezenberg during August 1917. Was he involved in any of these actions?

Best regards

FM

Dear bohs_man
It looks like we are related! James Murray was also an ancestor of mine and I have been researching his life and times for a couple of years now. There is much to tell, including two medals from the Boer War. I had no idea that some of his medals still survive - wow. It looks like the last listing - sapper in the Royal Engineers is erroneous. I have a military records document from 1964 which lists him through the RDF, LC and then (finally) the RSR. Happy to meet any time to discuss further.
Cheers

Dear bohs_man
It looks like we are related! James Murray was also an ancestor of mine and I have been researching his life and times for a couple of years now. There is much to tell, including two medals from the Boer War. I had no idea that some of his medals still survive - wow. It looks like the last listing - sapper in the Royal Engineers is erroneous. I have a military records document from 1964 which lists him through the RDF, LC and then (finally) the RSR. Happy to meet any time to discuss further.
Cheers
Dear bohs_man
Cheers
Will take this to PM mate.

Latest Threads