Soldier who lost leg in Afghanistan has £180 disability cash axed

Given the amount of news coverage this was getting this morning, I imagine it will be quickly resolved with a swift about-turn!

On BBC Radio 5 Live now Private Aron Shelton lost a leg while serving in Afghanistan. He learnt to use a prosthetic limb and can now walk up to 400 metres unaided. However, that means his disability allowance has been withdrawn. He's taking your calls from 10am.

Frankly I don't see what the fuss is about. Presumably Pte Shelton is seen by the authorities as restored completely and they no doubt envisage him taking on a full and satisfying life with a career as a cook on a pirate ship, FFS!

You honestly cannot make this stuff up can you? It isn't new though, a friend of my mother's father was gassed in 1918. He karked it in 1923, of respiratory complaints which had got progressively worse since 1918. However they refused him a pension on the grounds he could walk a certain distance at his med board in 1918...His death certificate however states clearly that his death is the result of chlorine gas inhalation.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A chance for Mr Cameron and Dr Fox to demonstrate the the Military covenant is not dead.

On BBC Radio 5 Live now Private Aron Shelton lost a leg while serving in Afghanistan. He learnt to use a prosthetic limb and can now walk up to 400 metres unaided. However, that means his disability allowance has been withdrawn. He's taking your calls from 10am.
You've got to look at it from the government's point of view. It's not as if Pte Shelton is suffering from a serious ailment like obesity, acne or a "nail disorder". LINK

Perhaps our own dear Sven could advise Pte Shelton. I mean Sven can't work because he keeps falling asleep. This gets him full incapacity benefit and a free car.

F*** it , I wrote to the Idiot Cameron, again

well, that'll sway him....
At least I try, and have been for almost thirty years, without people trying most of us disabled ex squaddys would still be getting put in workhouses FFS

Good man. I'll bet he's picked it up right now, licking his lips at the thought of bathing in the radiance of tropper66's wisdom.

'Ah, a letter postmarked ARRSE from Tropper66, no doubt. I wonder what social injustice he challenges me with today?

Dear Idiot Cameron...'

Pte Shelton has been stiffed because he answered the form honestly and truthfully as he saw it rather than answered the question on the form.

The form asks you, 'How far can you walk without discomfort'

Pte Shelton probably put down, 'I can walk 400yds'.

Problem is, the muppets in the DWP Office will not add on the 'but I was in discomfort doing it' bit. They will blindly apply the rules which are, you have to be unable to walk more than 10yds without discomfort.

This is why the chavscum and slackers are so adept at getting benefits. They know how to play the system and answer the questions in a manner that maximizes their 'disabilities' and ensures the clerk at the benefits office who is using an idiots guide and has no medical knowledge will see the correct buzzwords and tick the boxes.

Good man. I'll bet he's picked it up right now, licking his lips at the thought of bathing in the radiance of tropper66's wisdom.

'Ah, a letter postmarked ARRSE from Tropper66, no doubt. I wonder what social injustice he challenges me with today?

Dear Idiot Cameron...'
It sure beats doing F**k all, and I have had replies from No 10 flunkies in the past,

The form asks you, 'How far can you walk without discomfort'

Pte Shelton probably put down, 'I can walk 400yds'.

Problem is, the muppets in the DWP Office will not add on the 'but I was in discomfort doing it' bit.

Am I being thick? This does not make sense to me.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I used to work for the DWP processing applications for JSA. One day I had a phone call from a new applicant who explained that he was only claiming JSA because he had failed his medical. To you and I failing a medical would mean there is something wrong with us but to this gentleman it meant there was nothing wrong with him (in the opinion of the MO) and he was no longer entitled to Disability benefits.

It did not help that when he told me he had failed his medical I said (words to the effect of "Oh dear, what's wrong with you?") to which he replied with a long list of ailments which the vet had been unable to see any evidence of.

2 communities divided by a common language.

Edited to add: By way of clarity by 'new applicant' and 'gentleman' I mean 'scrounger'.

Tropper66 said:
Give the bloke a chance hes only just got into the office, all this is the previous anti-forces govts mess, as is the rest of the country. he's already doubled the op allowance, Im sure sorting the monkeys at the DWP and the rules about these types of things may take a little longer than the click of a finger.

I used to work for the DWP processing applications for JSA. One day I had a phone call from a new applicant who explained that he was only claiming JSA because he had failed his medical. To you and I failing a medical would mean there is something wrong with us but to this gentleman it meant there was nothing wrong with him (in the opinion of the MO) and he
was no longer entitled to Disability benefits.

2 communities divided by a common language.
Quite - its bordering on Orwellian... fails = passing and vice versa, the same logic can be applied to secondary education where you can 'pass' with a 'G', a score of ~20%...

At least I try, and have been for almost thirty years, without people trying most of us disabled ex squaddys would still be getting put in workhouses FFS
Read this after my post.

You're quite right, I was needlessly dismissive. Talking on forums is useful for forming opinions, but action is required to actually get the cogs of power turning. Good on you for your efforts and don't let me say otherwise. Any say for an online petition? Do we do that sort of thing here?

Anyone who writes into No 10 has a right to be heard. Slagging off this person is certainly inappropriate as it is unhelpful.

Having just listened to I'm all right Jack on 5 live Listening to a person called Jack -and frankly this man's statements were ugly as they were repugnant...as is the slagging off a former member for writing to the PM whose statutory duty is the Military Covenant so he has to take notice -if not we then have a pointless head of Parliament do we not?

I just wonder sometimes just how much individuals cajole and help (behind the scenes) take on the problems and try and steer their MP to support and change the system - for the record I do.

I am not going to get into a debate as people really do not know me - but the avatar, "Danger do not poke this Bear" is more than true and this case has just awakened me - and I will win and Cameron will lose, but it will not be in the public domain it will be done as you can all do sort it out with your local MP. The system needs to come under one umbrella and DLA should not be under the DWP as the higher rate is paid under the WPMS (google it). So the question now - is the decision unlawful....your damn right it is?

Latest Threads