Soldier to Student

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by _Dirk_Diggler_, Mar 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After 7 years ive decided to take the leap of faith and will be leaving the Army to start University in September. Can't wait to start but a little apprehensive of how I'll fit in at the crusty old age of 26. Anyone on here done Uni after the military? Any tips to give, experiences to share or dits to spin?

2. I took time out to do a degree and a good mate of mine is currently in his second year of uni after doing several years in the Army, including Depot Para DS, he seems to be loving it. I'd say go there with an open mind and make the most of the opportunities, there's everything from skydiving to cheerleeding (if thats your thing) to be had at a discounted rate, and of course plenty of drinking and shagging!

26 is still pretty young I'd expect there may be older students on your course.

3. You'll love it and probably smash the course not being and 18 yearold drunken weed smoking waster away from home for the first time.

10 hours of lectures a week feels like **** all after you've " worked" for a living

• Like Like x 1
  4. At 26 you are fine mate. You will be done before you are 30 and should get a good job at Mickey D's ;).

Seriously, you should be fine. I did it at 32 during the last recession and got fucked over because no one was hiring particulary not 35 year old career changers. Under 30 you are fine, honest.

My advice would be:

1. Know what you want to do when you finish your degree,
    2. Pick a relevant degree to suit your career ambition. No knitting or fine art degree's ........... unless thats where you want to go.
    3. Do a degree that is a sandwich course. That is where you spend years 1 and 2 at uni, year 3 you spend working in a relevant job and then year 4 you go back, finish off doing your dissertation on a project you picked up whilst out working.

A word, or two, on the year 3 placements:

1. Most uni's will have a semi-interested dick, or dickette, whose job it is to arrange placements. Most are after an easy life. There is nothing to stop you arranging your own placement with a company - yes you get paid for the placement time.

2. If you are looking to arrange your placement the well paying blue chip companies are well into placement students and use them for cheap consultancy. You nbeed to be getting the companies you are looking at short listed by yourself at the beginning of year 2 and letter with CV's off to them vey quickly. They probably have 40 or 50 possible candidates for every placement .

3. I did not do a placement, with hindsight maybe I should have. However, I do know that whenever and wherever a kiddy went on a placement they generally ended up working for that company after graduation. So, placements are a good thing and accept the fact that you will be the office junior wherever you go on placement.

A note on shagging: Not a problem. I was married, early thirties and I was getting offers, not chatting up, getting offers. It is not difficult, honest. Me and my mucker at uni, ex-7 Para, wandered thru the Union building one morning to get breakfast and coffee and noticed a film strip in the photo booth. We thought we'd do someone a favour and hand it in at the desk or see if we knew who it was to give it back personally. Yup, we knew who it was, she had a strip of pics done with her sucking someones dick and forgot to pick them up in her pissed up excitment. Final note on shagging, I knew a young laddie on the nursing course he was one of 4 or 5 blokes on the nursing course the other few were either married or gay, there were 100 girlies on the course. He was a skinny, weedy, spotty yoof but he had more shagging than anyone I knew and at one time he had 3 of the girlies fighting over him.

Enjoy.

5. When you're used to working for a living its like a holiday... You might be able to claim credit for previous experience an cut some of the boring stuff. I got to do a BA(hons) with QTS in 2 years by grossly exaggerating. Still managed to fit in 2 part time jobs during the course. Big advantage with being older is not getting treated like a kid like the spotty yoofs.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

6. And you'll be smashing socially confused strumpets AOTS. Which, lets face it, is a damned good reason to go to a seat of higher learning.

7. Another thought on placements:

We had the chance to go to the equivelent of a Polytechnic in Lille, France for 6 months during the second year. This meant doing a couple of evening a week learning French, not many were really interested because it did away with 'playtime' and the exchange was pretty much undersubscribed. My mate Jim (26 years old) went, he had done some GCSE French and fancied shagging some French bints. At the end of the course he picked up a french equivelent of an HND. Later he transferred to Sheffield Uni and did a course there for 2 years to top up his HND to a degree and he spent a year of the course at Uni in Bordeux, france. He picked up a French degree and a Brit Degree and then went off to work for a consultancy providing market intelligence to Nissan, his office was just outside Paris and he lived in the 15th Arondisement getting paid around 50K plus a motor.

So to underline my previous point, placements and exchanges are useful.

8. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Bad news for you kid. 26 isn't old. I would be surprised if you merit a second look. Apart from the ability to drink pints, iron a shirt and turn up on time with pens and paper. (Do they still do that)
    Enjoy yourself. I hope its an interesting course.

9. A Brighter 2006 got out to do uni, don't think he had a problem. I did a distance learning degree so didn't have to put up with the great unwashed but I think I would rapidly get pissed off with lefty Student Grant types with **** all life experience spouting shit.

10. You should be fine, I decided at the age of 36 to start a degree, so far so good, I do find the younger students annoying, there a quite a few ex-regs on my course, so makes it much more bearable.

11. Thinking of it and I'm in my fifties!

12. I was 29 when I started my degree. Apart from pulling on the train on the way to day 1 and two ******** neds trying to mug me that evening in Paisley, my entire time was pretty uneventful.

13. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Got so bored in my last job. I started a degree with the OU. Nothing specific just whatever modules I liked the look of. Finished it just after they fired me. Good to keep the braincells ticking over. Good luck..

14. But you are of course equipped with an extensive range of creative profanity to counter their dull drivel.

15. I did a degree by distance learning, and if I had the opportunity to do a full time degree I would jump at it. 26 is not at all old, so go for it.