Soldier to Officer...is *this* route possible?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by WatchingWater, Dec 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. WatchingWater

WatchingWater Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Basically I was hoping to become an Officer in the British Army, but had to leave college in my second year for a variety of reasons. I still want to join the Army though, but lacking 2 A-levels have to go in as a soldier. Is it possible that if I get a couple of A levels whilst in a soldier, can I do my 4 years, quit, then apply as a non-graduate to Sandhurst? I know you can go in as a late entry, but I think that usually takes a long time?

Cheers in advance!

2. Why quit after 4 years? If you prove you're good enough there are ways to apply whilst still serving as a regular soldier.

3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

4. To echo the above, why leave? When at BRNC we had a number of Upper Yardsmen - lads who'd joined as a rating and then gone the officer route but before/without reaching a senior rate. Did the same course as the rest of us who'd just joined; a bit different to the SUY route as I understand it. I know this is on the dark blue side, but if the Army is anything like this (and with everything becoming more purple and common between services I'd be very surprised if it wasn't) then it would be possible to go for officer selection & training without becoming an SNCO first and going for later entry.

By leaving you'd be cutting off your chances of continuing to serve without a commission (which also has much going for it), and going for LE entry later on in your Army career if you wanted to give that route a shot. But I'm sure a recruiter can fill you in on the details better than I though - best of luck with it!

5. WatchingWater

Thanks alot for the replies, extremely helpful! I might just bide my time then and get A-levels and an open university degree under my belt.

I'll talk it over with my recruiter as soon as I can get an appointment.

Thanks again.

6. It is indeed possible. I know this from personal experience. My case is slightly different, in that I joined with a degree, which instantly raised the question -- among peers and superiors -- as to why I didn't just go the officer route in the first place ('nationality' being the short answer), which in turn made it clear from the outset what my ambitions are, and hence set things moving rather smoothly. But the point is that the system does allow such a thing to happen, if you have the drive to make it work.

As far as A levels go, there are a couple of different routes you can take while serving as a soldier: from completing your studies part time on your own steam (and possibly claiming back any money spent under the 'learning credits' scheme) right through to using your unit's organic education assets to assist you in getting the qualifications.

You do not need to serve out your initial 4 year contract: once you tick the right boxes for officer entry (as measured against the standard requirements on the 'Army Jobs' website), and bearing in mind that your conduct and performance as a soldier will also come into play here, you can start the ball rolling with your officer application process itself. Here, expect a rather tangled route paved with paperwork, interviews (right up your chain of command), and at least two visits to Westbury (as you do the same AOSB Briefing and Main Board as civilian applicants). In your case, being a non-graduate, you will quite probably have to do the Potential Officer Development Course, which aims to give you the requisite background in academic work and other bits and pieces to put you on the same footing as everyone else when you start at RMAS.

It is a proven process, albeit rather convoluted (though YMMV). If you search these forums for 'commissioning from the ranks' you will find plenty (which I know helped me), or if you PM me with specific questions I'd be happy to help.

7. Correct in all this info, after 2 years if fully reccomended by CofC and CO at any rank you can go through all the interviews, Briefing and Main Board. If you dont have the required qualifications then you may also have to do education aswell. Its not an easy ride and expect if you apply to do it you will be hit with lots of planning exercises and tasks to see your potential. If your serving and feel that your up to the standards then speak with your CofC and RCMO.

8. WatchingWater

This has really cleared it up for me! I thought that I had very, very little chance of having a shot at becoming an Officer from a Soldier, I'll bide my time and try my hardest throughout the time I'm in the Army!

9. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Good luck. You'll get to hear of Pods and Prams courses (Potential Officer Development and Pre RMAS). Get down to the Education Centre and talk to one of the ETS instructors, it's their business to brief you. Keep your chain of command informed.

10. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Just to add a bit of evidence...we had 2 serving reg JNCOs (both LCpl I think) who were in my RMAS intake, both recommended by CoC and following the same route as anyone else at RMAS.

One went AWOL if I remember correctly..;)

S_R

11. WatchingWater

This has actually cleared up all my doubts 100 percent, thanks again to everybody who replied!