• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Soldier to blog from Afghanistan for Guardian

Interesting sign of the state of the infantry that out of an 8 man section, 2 are TA, one is on loan from the AAC and one is too young to deploy until mid-tour.

And this is the section the MOD is showcasing!

There are in fact, 20 AAC seconded to 5 SCOTS as infantry, It has been done before, a 12 man group were seconded for their Bosnia tour, i was one of them.

There was doubt before R Anglian deployed, people slating them, in fact they were just as good as 3 PARA were out there. Don't judge before the end result.

F

fozzy

mintymcginty said:
Corporal Lachie MacNeil of 5 Scots will be writing for the Guardian for the next six months, sending articles, video, audio and blogs from FoB Delhi.
Starts here
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2008/apr/07/afghanistan

Diary here
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/09/afghanistan.military

MM
This looks good - nicely put together too. I shall be watching with interest over the next 6 months.
Might set some of the Graun's readership reaching for their green ink....

oldstab said:
Interesting sign of the state of the infantry that out of an 8 man section, 2 are TA, one is on loan from the AAC and one is too young to deploy until mid-tour.

blobmeister said:
There are in fact, 20 AAC seconded to 5 SCOTS as infantry, It has been done before, a 12 man group were seconded for their Bosnia tour, i was one of them.

There was doubt before R Anglian deployed, people slating them, in fact they were just as good as 3 PARA were out there. Don't judge before the end result.
Blob,

I think the point was how undermanned the Infantry are rather than a dig at the TA or the AAC. It is a good point.

I'm assuming they haven't taken a helicopter with them?

This is fantastic. Blogs are more opinionated and personal, so I hope this soldier writes as a soldier. It will be interesting to see how far outside their comfort zone the MoD will let him express himself.

Absolutely fantastic they're giving such attention to a line infantry section, especially one that's part of the battalion I'm hoping to join. Really looking forward to reading the blogs and watching the footage of a 5 SCOTS section on operation - usually mostly coverage of Paras / RM (no disrespect to the lads) in the media, very motivating to see line infantry getting stuck in aswell.

Interesting to read AAC get seconded to them as well in an infantry capacity - thought they just made up the numbers purely from TA infantry e.g 6/7 SCOTS.

5SCOTS have already been in theatre (as part of 16AA) for a month now though?

This is a very interesting project, which I'll be following closely. It's good to see the Guardian getting something like this together, I hope it goes a good way to making folks realise what's really going on.

However, I wish they'd had subtitles for the vids. Don't these lads have to learn English before they join the British Army? :D :D :D

MsG

Interesting development for the Guardian.

I wonder if the Editors have woken up and smelt the shite wafting from thier rag lately and decided to do something about it by commissioning some informed opinions for once?

blobmeister said:

The Sgt Maj in the Dispatches documentary on the OMLT in Afghanistan in 2006 was AAC. Also didn't it used to be fairly common for AAC subalterns to be attached to infantry or armoured units for a short time, in a similar way to Int Corps officers?

It would be interesting to find out if a media ops officer will be 'vetting' his blog prior to it been sent off to the Guardian. If they aren't already doing it then I'm sure they will once 5 SCOTS gets involved ops on the ground.

oldstab said:

And one of them is a Grauniad reader!

baboon6 said:
The Sgt Maj in the Dispatches documentary on the OMLT in Afghanistan in 2006 was AAC. Also didn't it used to be fairly common for AAC subalterns to be attached to infantry or armoured units for a short time, in a similar way to Int Corps officers?
Yeah, I believe that quite a few corps "back in the day" including the AAC / Int Corps / RAOC and possibly others sent subalterns to act as junior commanders in NI.

I've encountered AAC & Int Corps subalterns attached to LR infantry bns and Cav in the dismounted role as multiple commanders and watchkeepers in Iraq. I suspect that, as patrolling in Helmand relies on core Infantry skills rather than generic soldiering ones, Herrick will have them as LOs / wkprs.

FWIW the guys attached to us in Eye-rack did a good job, but would definately have needed the experience of PCBC for them to have sufficient credibility and effectiveness leading infantry platoons in Helmand.

Charlie

In-Limbo said:
Interesting development for the Guardian.

I wonder if the Editors have woken up and smelt the shite wafting from thier rag lately and decided to do something about it by commissioning some informed opinions for once?
But to be fair to the Grauniad, they did a very good piece on Op Hechtaw not too long ago which was the subject of a long thread on Arrse, full of appreciative feedback. they've also had various other bits, e.g. article by Andrew Jackson. They're not the rabid bunch of Pinkos that it is thought that they once were.

Edited to add this link:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=86386.html

(P.S. I am not a journo, and have no connection with the Grauniad or anyone who works for it)

baboon6, you are correct, there was 1x SSm and 2x SNCO AAC on the OMLT on Herrick 4, the SSM was awarded on the Operational Honours list for his actions. I was one of the OMLT SNCO AAC on the tour (my second infantry deployment in as many years incl Bosnia 2005 with 1 A&SH)

On Herrick 4 there was also 2 AAC officers as tank commanders with HCR.
12 man section with 2 PARA in Iraq 2006.
Etc the list goes on, we are often seconded around 16AAB

Latest Threads