"Soldier survives Afghan snipers bullet through neck"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr._Average, Mar 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Travelling home last night on the tube I read the above story in the London Evening Standard.

It just struck me as typical of the understated and, in many places, unappreciated, day-to-day courage and professionalism of the guys out there. This chap was shop through his neck, the bullet just missing his spine and major blood vessels, and, for a while, he continued trying to direct his blokes. Once recovered (which thankfully it appears he soon will be) he intends to rejoin his unit in Afghanistan.

I can't find the report on the Evening Standard website but there is a précis of it in the Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1254864/Miracle-Helmand-soldier-survives-shot-neck-sniper.html

Perhaps it is no big deal but, for me, it just spoke volumes of the quality of guys (and girls) out there. Respect and good luck to him.

2. I want his lottery numbers...

3. Well what do you expect from the Army's best Infantry Regiment,lol

4. Quote. "It just struck me as typical of the understated and, in many places, unappreciated, day-to-day courage and professionalism of the guys out there." Quote

Very true indeed. I often wonder just how many stories like this go unheard or unmentioned outside the army circle. Brave man indeed.

FM

5. Guarantee most will not of heard of this happening.

Or probably never will.

And will never fully appreciate what the lads (and some gals) do out there.

6. He's a 'very' lucky bloke! respect to the chap.

7. lol? no FACT

Anglians rool - they're like Paras with O Levels

8. How would you know?

9. Cos I was one. And I've got some O Levels. Simples

edited to add " and a sense of humour about stuff too"

10. Only if you define "lucky" as being shot in the neck. Personally, if I got shot in the neck, Id say that was quite unlucky really.

11. I hope he has grandkids in the future. Think of all the kudos he'll get from his vampire stories.

Good man.

12. send that man a baldricks bullet :)

13. Ace, would be nice if the mainstream news channels did something on this and all of the other news from the front, but no, they go on about "dear old " M.Foot, guerillas nicking charity money for guns in Africa, wow we couldn't have worked that one out, outrage bus is looming for me I'm afraid, sorry !

14. I think he means lucky to have been shot in the neck and not killed.

Just a thought.

:twisted:

15. Yes, I got that. Still think it would be far luckier not to get shot in the neck in the first place.