Soldier sticking two fingers up to MOD rules

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by kennys-go-nad, Apr 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A controversial blog from Mr Mick Smiths pages, a currant arrser I believe and Times hack.

So who on ARRSE is the jap behind the wire. :D

On a serious note, how many have contemplated braking the rules out of frustration at the way our forces are currently managed?
    Are the rules banning servicemen and women from giving their opinions really worth the paper there printed on?

Fighting Behind the Wire, The View From the Serviceman

I liked the last line.

2. hahahah! Winner
  3. Who?
  4. £1050 for a bloody office chair. What's it made of? Mink cover gold?
  5. Whoever wrote that! Especially the DIN bit
  6. Oh god, not these f*cking chairs again. They were bought because we live in a litigious society and many firms are now worried that they'll get sued if they don't cover every aspect of H&S - back injuries and illness included.

People keep quoting the one off price, but as has been discussed here time and time again, the MOD paid nowhere near that price - I understand it was in the order of over 50% off the list price.

Where's the irony in all this? Well the HQ I work in doesnt have these 'vunder chairs' - it has the usual shite chairs that we've had for decades which are cheap as chips. End result, endless moans by the soldiers (and yes I mean soldiers and not RAF or Navy or CS) about how the dire chairs they're sitting on are causing them back problems and they're concerned about their ability to deploy. Let me guess though, the moment we do something about it, we'll be accussed of wasting money on chairs.
  7. Whilst I agree with your contempt of the compensatin culture that we live in nowadays, the article was referring to the chairs at Whitehall. How many of the people who work there are likely to deploy? ( or have ever deployed for that matter considering the place is made up of senior civil servants).

If they were so worried about people claiming then I suggest they put their money not into chairs but into mouse mats and wrist rests. I hear the current bidding for RSI is about £450,000....
  8. Perhaps the home front still isn't pulling its weight.
  9. This chair 'story' is months old...and I believe we all just 'shrugged' and got on with our lives then, just as we will do now.
  10. Does it mean if I'll complain of bad back I'll be given one of those chairs? Don't think so.
    Are you saying MOD would be unable to fight off "Oh, my back hurts, I need an expensive chair" claims?
  11. Four years old proximo

and I think that is the crux of the article. It keeps getting brought when issues that have effected servicemen and women, who being asked to do a difficult job with inadequate kit. Kit that could have cost a lot less then a Herman miller chair, and possible saved a life, not just the MOD from a comp claim for a bad back,,or typist with a bad wrist. Officers who resign as a gesture ten to make the headlines for a few days then its forgotten and hardly brought up again.

Is it possible that this was what POD was up to? I remember many on these forums posting that he should have resigned in protest during the last sweeping cuts. Would those cuts have been more or less harsh had he resigned in protest at the time?

Again one if the points raised, just proved by Jim30

12. You would of thought so, I mean, they seem to fight off "my son died because you didn't give him body armor/enough rounds/enough water."
  13. So why dont we supply those units who are required to deploy with these chairs, i can pretty much guarentee that 99.999% of those at Whitehole are not required to deploy on operations, regulary!
  14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It's a fine line between maintaining the appearance of the political neutrality of the Armed Forces as a collective body and gagging legitimate whistle blowing.

It is often mentioned that those officers who where giving Winston Churchill information in the 30's were doing so in breach of the rules.

I would make one major change to the rules. When a minister or senior civil servant lies, or lets be charitable, asserts something that is not correct, all members of the armed forces should have the duty to state the truth publicly.

If applied retrospectively the cacophony would be deafening, but actually the effect would be to keep them honest (less dishonest) as they would know that their inaccuracies (lies) will be found out.

In particular we would never again hear the SoS Def (V) mutter the likes of:

"'s all very well for arm chair Generals and Colonel Blimps to make speeches in the House of Lords and in letters to the Daily Telegraph, but serving soldiers are right behind me..."
  15. I totally agree with this part of Swiss Des's statement "but serving soldiers are right behind me..." but the trouble I have with it is when will some cnut give the command "Target will fall when hit, in your own time, carry on!"