Soldier, Soldier

So the King's own are now in 5ABN.When did the air landing battalion go to Aldershot? When we were in that role we were in Canterbury (like our predecessors and replacement). And why would anyone want to join such a jinxed regiment? Every time they go on the range or on exercise or abroad,someone gets killed.They even managed to lose all their weapons on the way to the shot.
5 A Brigade was a real brigade at the time, obviously this was the Para regt with airborne forces. Yet in other parts of the program fictional units and battalions are mentioned.
The episode today showed them moving from Warminster to Aldershot, although the first scenes looks very much like they were filmed at the cambrige military hospital in Aldershot ( though my memory is a bit hazy)
And the young black child grew up quickly, she was a toddler in the previous episodes!

5 A Brigade was a real brigade at the time, obviously this was the Para regt with airborne forces. Yet in other parts of the program fictional units and battalions are mentioned.
The episode today showed them moving from Warminster to Aldershot, although the first scenes looks very much like they were filmed at the cambrige military hospital in Aldershot ( though my memory is a bit hazy)
And the young black child grew up quickly, she was a toddler in the previous episodes!
I know 5 brigade was real,my lot(1RRF)were in it for three years.I remember going to Aldershot perhaps twice.We were at Warminster as well,although I didn't recognise much of it.
Your right about the kid,maybe it's the time difference between the shot and Sarf Iffrika.

My old mate "Junior" (RIP) , black as the ace of spades - joined his first ship and shouted down the hatch "You got any big black feckers down there?"...."No" came the reply...kitbag thrown down the hatch..."You feckin have now!"

@Jimmy_Green may remember him off the Coventry, may have joined after Jimmy left though.
My dad used to tell a tale from his merchant years of a similar tall & strongly built gentlemen of West-Indian heritage immediately earning the nickname "Sea Boots" upon joining ship, later abbreviated to "Boots". One suspects it wouldn't happen now.

Last edited:
I know 5 brigade was real,my lot(1RRF)were in it for three years.I remember going to Aldershot perhaps twice.We were at Warminster as well,although I didn't recognise much of it.
Your right about the kid,maybe it's the time difference between the shot and Sarf Iffrika.

I was in 1RRF as well, although long after that. I seem to recall the battalion was in Warminster in about 92/93? Long before my time. Not sure when they were in Canterbury though?

I was in 1RRF as well, although long after that. I seem to recall the battalion was in Warminster in about 92/93? Long before my time. Not sure when they were in Canterbury though?
1988-1991 canters.Cyprus before that,tidworth after. We moved to Warminster in 1992 and merged with 3RRF.Left there in 94 for Catterick,Somme Barracks.
I believe they are back in Tidders,is that right?

I think production companies have 'dropped the ball' nowadays wrt realism when depicting armed forces etc- too much emphasis on ticking boxes and diversity compliance, which seems to be the primary aim of what we see produced nowadays.
truly reflects reality then

Bit off topic but does the infantry battalions still move around? Or does each battalion now have a permanent base? I know that certainly until the 2000s, with the exemption of the Paras, most infantry battalion would change roles and postings every 2-5 years.
very little anymore

its said that people have grown to adulthood never knowing Saturday night without Charlie fairhead
They are snowflakes if they don’t remember Duffy or Meg

So the whole company goes on P Coy.Did they forget to do the beat up?
Didn’t realise another infantry battalion would just crack on with P coy with no training? And if they got their wings surely they’d have to remain in 5 AB Brigade? What about the rest of the battalion?
Couldn’t work out if was Catterick, not been there for years. The married quarters looks like North camp but could be wrong.

So the whole company goes on P Coy.Did they forget to do the beat up?
I dunno about the filming but according to Steve Truglia they had a pisstake of a session with the RAF PJI's who were looking after the production company and giving technical advice.

Steve is now sadly departed and like many a Lahndunner had a quick wit and rapid repartee to floor the most unsuspecting badgeman and impress the ladie's. Steve, at the time, was in 21 SAS along with a few of the other blokes working as technically competent extra's. They all had many, many, jumps including MFF (HALO) under their belts and took great delight in winding up the RAF PJI's throughout the time the production company spent with them. It gradually dawned on the PJI's that no group of individuals could be that bone and deliberately ask so many bone questions without it being a wind up. According to Steve him and his compadre's reckoned that the PJI's had someone looking through old course photo's until they found one and could identify him as a member of 21 SAS.

Steve served with 21 SAS, transferred to SBS and may have been busy for another less uniformed agency. After his wobbly start on Brookside he finally got a good break as an extra and doing stunts on Soldier Soldier he managed to move into the business full-time and become a stunt man earning lots of dosh for skills the army taught him and paid him peanuts for.

Didn’t realise another infantry battalion would just crack on with P coy with no training? And if they got their wings surely they’d have to remain in 5 AB Brigade? What about the rest of the battalion?
Couldn’t work out if was Catterick, not been there for years. The married quarters looks like North camp but could be wrong.
A number of our lads did P Coy while we were part of the brigade,but it was not a platoons worth never mind a company.About seven or eight passed.They stayed with the battalion when we moved on,only one transferred to Para Reg.But he was a bellend anyway so no one cared.

A number of our lads did P Coy while we were part of the brigade,but it was not a platoons worth never mind a company.About seven or eight passed.They stayed with the battalion when we moved on,only one transferred to Para Reg.But he was a bellend anyway so no one cared.
So the Inf Bn in 16 Air Aslt Bde (as opposed to the 2 x Para Bn) don’t all to P Coy?

Do they all do the jumps Cse?

So the Inf Bn in 16 Air Aslt Bde (as opposed to the 2 x Para Bn) don’t all to P Coy?

Do they all do the jumps Cse?
When we were in 5 brigade(predecessor to 16 brigade)definitely not ,mate.It was completely voluntary,not even everyone in airborne units did it.They did all wear the red beret,though(not us).Our job was airlanding,the modern equivalent of the old glider borne battalions.Herc lands,run off the back while it's still moving,that sort of stuff.Most of us found the exercises pretty dull actually,and we were always regarded as the poor relations.
Personally I have done sport parachuting,but I was not fit enough for P Coy.I didn't have time to train for it anyway,I was far too busy drinking beer and womanising down the Black Griffin.

When we were in 5 brigade(predecessor to 16 brigade)definitely not ,mate.It was completely voluntary,not even everyone in airborne units did it.They did all wear the red beret,though(not us).Our job was airlanding,the modern equivalent of the old glider borne battalions.Herc lands,run off the back while it's still moving,that sort of stuff.Most of us found the exercises pretty dull actually,and we were always regarded as the poor relations.
Personally I have done sport parachuting,but I was not fit enough for P Coy.I didn't have time to train for it anyway,I was far too busy drinking beer and womanising down the Black Griffin.
To be honest depot was mainly about being beasted and pissed about for 6 months.
The Para regt recruits had only been in the army 3/4 months, with all arms they were mainly experienced NCOs, I would think that that would give them the advantage.

I dunno about the filming but according to Steve Truglia they had a pisstake of a session with the RAF PJI's who were looking after the production company and giving technical advice.

Steve is now sadly departed and like many a Lahndunner had a quick wit and rapid repartee to floor the most unsuspecting badgeman and impress the ladie's. Steve, at the time, was in 21 SAS along with a few of the other blokes working as technically competent extra's. They all had many, many, jumps including MFF (HALO) under their belts and took great delight in winding up the RAF PJI's throughout the time the production company spent with them. It gradually dawned on the PJI's that no group of individuals could be that bone and deliberately ask so many bone questions without it being a wind up. According to Steve him and his compadre's reckoned that the PJI's had someone looking through old course photo's until they found one and could identify him as a member of 21 SAS.

Steve served with 21 SAS, transferred to SBS and may have been busy for another less uniformed agency. After his wobbly start on Brookside he finally got a good break as an extra and doing stunts on Soldier Soldier he managed to move into the business full-time and become a stunt man earning lots of dosh for skills the army taught him and paid him peanuts for.

In all of that, you forgot to mention his ambitions on being a 'Magician '. An all round gent, God rest him.

To be honest depot was mainly about being beasted and pissed about for 6 months.
The Para regt recruits had only been in the army 3/4 months, with all arms they were mainly experienced NCOs, I would think that that would give them the advantage.
Things are coming back to me.The lads that passed were certainly robust and experienced soldiers,far more than recruits.They trained hard,beat up in camp with the recce plt commander (who was already winged up),pre para with 7 RHA,then PCoy.
On returning to Canterbury the conspiracy theory started.Some said that more lads should have passed,but the DS didn't want too many hats getting through,so some were deliberately failed.