Soldier sentenced to 110 years in rape and murder of Iraqi

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by oldbaldy, Aug 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/04/army.rape.slaying.ap/?iref=mpstoryview

Just love this bit:

2. Death is to good for these evil cnuts. Let the ******* rot in solitary confinement on starvation rations and no possible medication.
    Personally I'd have their fcuking balls chopped off and some lucky girls shove them up their arse. See if they still smile then.
    Evil Bastards

3. They should all have been stripped of their uniforms, dragged outside and shot.

The price of the bullet billed to their wages.

They behaved like animals, I am glad I was nowhere near, I would probably be up for a murder charge (and being billed for some 5.56mm rounds!!!)

4. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

I thought America was very big on the death penalty?

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

They may be but this was a plea bargain.

6. It looks like his sentence is for aiding/abetting, conspiracy and pleading in exchange for testimony. Only the alleged ringleader, Green, is layin' to get smoked.

I'm not making a plea for clemency at all (Spielman's been been found guilty and I hope he has fun in jail for the next century -- cnut) but I am concerned about the next trial as I am uncomfortable with any death penalty sentence that relies primarily on eyewitness testimony, particulary that of co-conspirators. I think we all know that someone who's concerned about saving his own ass may not be the most reliable source of information.

I don't know if the answer would be uniformity (no pun intended) of sentencing....but then again, they'd never have gotten the testimony.

On the other hand, the Tankie is adamant that when you sign on the dotted line, normal standards of justice no longer apply. And post-My Lai, if you are anywhere near something like this and you can't actively prove that you tried to stop it by pointing your rifle at a fellow soldier, then you'd better be prepared to face some very harsh sentencing. So a gigantic "boo fcuking hoo" for anyone involved (and an interest in seeing them all hung) from the serving half.

7. They got what they deserved. They transformed from disciplined soldiers to sub human rabble and will now have time to ruminate on that fact.
    We should have sentencing here that fully reflects the crime of child rape and murder.

fastmedic

8. The military hierarchy was rather disingenuous as well, originally saying that they had murdered a young woman and blustering over the truth that they had brutally gang-raped and then murdered a child. That bunch of animals should all have been turned over for trial by the Iraqi civil system, as this is a criminal crime against Iraqi civilians. They should all have hanged.

Mind you this Spielman guy only stood guard, rather than being an active rapist and murderer, so it's a bit strange that he got the worst sentence of the lot so far.

9. The powers that be will probably be really soft and let him out after 90 years!