Soldier school rescued teen tearaway

brettarider said:
Errm isn't this is what the JLR regiments also achieved reinventing the wheel here
There spake the voice of reason and experience.

Brettarider (real name shopping basket motability) is proof positive, if ever it was needed, that care in the community works.

Okay, it was the military community.....

but it worked nonetheless :D

Emily,

If you are reading this - well done. Keep out of Aber and don't go up to the Mardy ever again.

You can make a life for yourself without getting involved with anyone at the back of the Angel or the bus station.

JW.

xx

shaka said:
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/swanews/3608132.Soldier_school_rescued/

"We are very proud of her. She's exactly what the college is for, to help young people achieve their absolute best."

This young lady should be very proud of her self , She is a very well respected regimented role model to young people and prove they can transform their life's around with the help of military preparation college and their staff in cardiff and Brecon

atonement said:
shaka said:
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/swanews/3608132.Soldier_school_rescued/

"We are very proud of her. She's exactly what the college is for, to help young people achieve their absolute best."

This young lady should be very proud of her self , She is a very well respected regimented role model to young people and prove they can transform their life's around with the help of military preparation college and their staff in cardiff and Brecon
Very true - but her own willingness/self belief, desire to stick it out and see it through should be recognised too.

It's good to see the Green were there for her and didn't write her off straightaway, but gave her the oppurtunity.

This is not part of the Forces, but a civvy company running courses to prepare people for basic training.

That's understood, but whoever they are, they deserve to be commended for (at least in this case) taking these problem children and actually encouraging them to become assets to society by giving them a sense of self-worth and achievement.

If this prep school has genuinely done what it claims then three cheers for them. If it can work then it says something, it's a shame it won't ever be an enforced method.

"At first I tried talking back to the teachers, but they would just make me do press-ups.

"After a while I got so tired I thought I'd give being good a try.

"Then everyone was so much nicer when I was following orders, I stuck with it."
sounds about right.

I like the look of the daily timetable too...

Said it for ages.

If schoot teachers were allowed to discipline the pupils and be backed up (non of this appealling of expulsion etc), and the National Curriculum included some form of stretching the pupils (ie DofE, adventurous training and community work) there would be higher esteem and self worth in the kids.

Then they wouldn´t drop in to drugs. Note, not try drugs, but perhaps not lean on them like a crutch along with all the other gang culutures sprining up.

chocolate_frog said:
If schoot teachers were allowed to discipline the pupils and be backed up (non of this appealling of expulsion etc), and the National Curriculum included some form of stretching the pupils (ie DofE, adventurous training and community work) there would be higher esteem and self worth in the kids.
What about CCFs being run from all schools rather than mainly private schools where the kids already have advantages that most don't?

I would like to see more ACFs being run from schools. Partly becaues the buildings would be more efficiently used.

But that is not to everybodies taste. I would also ike to encourage the scouts, guides, Boys Brigade, Girls Brigade, youth club DofE groups, st johns etc etc. to also be part of the school.

But that then leads me to the re role of the school as in important centre to the youth culture of hte area. Not to mention the added sports available by axeing school afternoons. Start at 0700, then finish at 1300, PM spent on sports, actiivities and civic responsibilities.

chocolate_frog said:
But that then leads me to the re role of the school as in important centre to the youth culture of hte area. Not to mention the added sports available by axeing school afternoons. Start at 0700, then finish at 1300, PM spent on sports, actiivities and civic responsibilities.
don't they do something similar in germany?

Can't see many kids being to thrilled at the prospect of getting up in time for school starting at 0700!

Agree with you though. Community based groups/projects should be part of the National Curriculum. Look at the International Baccalaureate, one of the five areas of that curriculum is Community Service:

This component requires students to take an active part in the communities in which they live, thereby encouraging responsible citizenship.

Re Germany, yep, and a few other countries, America I think too.You should see the amount of playing fields and pool and what not around here. They all seem quite happy too.

Re kids being thrilled. Probabley not, but. oh well. It will make men of them. Even the girls.

If you look at the current school day. start at 0830ish. naafi break (20 -30 mins) 1 hour lunch break, finsihed by 3.

How about start at 0730 +/-, 10 minute break, and finished for lunch. All the gash like PE and PSE ripped out, and put in the afternoon (except PE for examinations). Sports afternoons, interests ie the school band, and what not, adventure ie DofE and ACF, civics such as community service and learning the civic responsibilities of the person. and extra tuition where needed.

Breakfast provided in the canteen (cheap), and the lunch and tea. A bit of PAYD action.

Build Leisure centres in to the schools, and start a high school league for various sports. Televise the more important matches, sell (for a pitance) tickets to the parents and what not to provide for cups and strips etc. Free enterence to the centre for pupils.

ALthough the government should cough up a fair bit.

Sat AM can also be available for such things.

Sort out the school year too. THe summer holdays are long and when they are so the kids could go and help harvest the crops. Seeing as this is no longer neccesary, they could be rationalised to equal sixths of the year.

Pupils WOULD be allowedto go on holiday at anytime of the year. But only according to a traffic light system (exam = red) and a chat with teachers to arrange lessons for the period of absence.

Bring back the house system (it was good enough for Bliars children, even as he scrapped it in other schools) and allow streaming for the pupils to allow the groups to be taught at the speed they require and to the correct level.

Kids must be taught to a MINIMUM standard in English Lang and Maths. They can leave education at that point. (even if they are at special night school for the over 50s)

The problem with all of this is it requires money...no matter how much the goverment bleats on about education standards slipping, etc etc, can you really see them providing the funding that these ideas would need?

And blame the parents/teachers/peer group pressure/films/computer games (feel free to add to list) all the while talking about how they will solve the youth problem yet never actually changing anything for the better.

Latest Threads