Soldier saved by rosary - just like his great-grandfather

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by singha61, Aug 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Telegraph
    A soldier who stood on a landmine in Afghanistan may owe his life to a rosary - just as his great-grandfather did in the Second World War.
    Private Glenn Hockton, 19, asked for a rosary to take with him before being deployed to Afghanistan on a seven-month tour of duty with the Coldstream Guards in Helmand Province.

He bent down to pick the rosary up when it fell from his neck and then realised he was on a landmine.
    Pte Hockton had to remain standing where he was for 45 minutes while his colleagues successfully attempted to rescue him.
    Soldier saved by rosary - just like his great-grandfather - Telegraph
  2. There is a God and he is a left-footer.
  3. Very lucky man. Of course he could have been looking for a lost Ipod when he got into that situation. Then the Apple faithful would have been saying,
    "Yes, there is a God, and His name is Steve Jobs"

4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Happened to my grandfather - sniper opened fire just as he bent down to pick a set of rosary beads up

Missed him and hit the clumsy Nun who had dropped them
  5. if it were me I'd have been using the nun as a shield
  6. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Don't land mines explode when you step on them, not off them?
  7. Correct

Now the "Hollywood" mine that is a different story!
  8. Arrant nonsesnse. God just thinks he's Steve Jobs...
  9. oh no! His mother is quoted as saying:

"He has turned around and said: 'When you're out there, you either kill or you be killed.'

10. The full quote is:

11. As far as I am aware, there are mines out there in the world that don't immediately go bang when one steps on them. There is a slight delay in detonation after one steps foot on them and steps off to ensure that anyone with the poor fool who initiates the mine gets splattered as well.

Was it a bouncing betty? (as far as I recall that is what mines that come up out of the ground at you before they go bang were called back in the day)

12. TamH70, I have worked around mines for many years, there is no such mine as you describe, the only 'delay' built into a landmine is the milliseconds it takes a Bounding Fragmentation Mine to reach the length of the wire that is attached at one end to the base of the mine that has been left 'In-Situ' after a small propellant charge has thrown the main body of the mine upwards until the wire pulls the detonator business end down onto the striker (usually around "Bollock" height) which is held firm inside the main body in turn setting off the main 'High Explosive' charge. I have no doubt Private Hockton did find himself stood on a landmine, he was very lucky the mine did not go off, this will have been down to various reasons from not enough pressure being applied (his foot was possibly on the very edge of the mine and not on the pressure plate or pushing any protruding 'prongs' depending on type of mine - it may have been an Anti-Tank mine which will have required a lot more pressure to set it off than an Anti-Personnel mine) to a faulty fuze or even an unarmed mine, which may have been placed by an inexperienced person or someone not willing to arm the mine incase they set it off themselves (many times we found all 10 PMA-3 Anti-Personnel mines all in the same hole or very close to each other buried but without the chemical fuzes screwed into their base, they will have been given a package of 10 to protect their trench/position but possibly too worried to arm them).

In any case, there is no such thing as a mine that you Step on, it clicks and then goes off when you step off of it, only in Hollywood you will have seen such a mine... if you think you are stood on a land mine then Get the F*&^ off of it before you apply enough pressure to initiate it! but just bear in mind you are now IN a Mine Field!
  13. Thanks for that information, Gundulph. It proved what had long been a suspicion of mine, that Hollywood just makes shit up when it comes to war movies. Which is one reason why I stopped watching "Saving Private Ryan" tonight, after the best bit, the first half hour or so, had ended.

14. They often now put AP mines on top of AT mines to make sure they go off.
  15. From Mark1234:

"They often now put AP mines on top of AT mines to make sure they go off."

Now that is cheating.