"Soldier Sahibs" by Charles Allen.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by johno2499, May 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The sub-title of this book is "The Men Who Made the North-West Frontier". I have just re-read the book following "that" incident in Abbottabad. I enjoyed it just as much the second time around. I have an advantage as I was lucky to be based in Islamabad in the late seventies/early eighties when it was safe to travel around Pakistan, India and Afghanistan (the latter country until late 1979 anyway). At that time I had family Army stories in mind from the thirties and pre-World War 1. I hope the day comes when it will be safe to travel again in this wonderful region although I suspect that it will not be in my own lifetime.
  2. Does this cover the British East India Company period or the later Victorian era?

Bit of a geek, sorry!
  3. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

IIRC: The book ends with Nicholson, Hodson and other similarly dangerous chaps going out in a blaze of black smoke during the storming of Delhi - so the John Company period.
  4. Excellent, thanks Andy. I'll have to look out for this book then!
  5. Isbn 0 349 11456 0
  6. Ordered it from Amazon, nice one!
  7. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

A brilliant book, particularly if you have family links to that period or, more particularly, were caught up in the Mutiny.
  8. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Careful you'll have tropper reminisicng in a moment!

Word of advice buy any of Charles Allen's Histories or Historical Compilations they are all excellent, I heartily recommend "Plain Tales from the Empire"
  9. My Dad has a medal with India on it and the clasp is Afghanistan. What time period does the book cover as I know he was in India in the 1920s and again in 1947?
  10. Three decades leading to the Mutiny.
  11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Fairy, we had a war (our third) in Afghanistan and neighbouring Waziristan in 1919 (try Wiki). My great uncle left his right arm there.
  12. Why? Didn't he want it any more?
  13. HHH

HHH LE

Brigadier-General John Nicholson is still causing controversy today. Believe it or not in relation to the proposed Memorial to the UDR that is going to be erected in Lisburn. It will be close to his statue, as people are comparing the stance of the male figure on the UDR statue to his,saying it is too aggressive, like the one of Nicholson. (his record in the Indian Mutiny is brought up as well)
  14. One little niggle from this book that has caused me to reach for my anorak. According to Charles Allen, the "five rivers" from which the Punjab derives it's name are: Indus, Ravi, Sutlej, Chenab and Jhelum. Surely, some mistake? It's the Beas, rather than the Indus is it not?
  15. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Since you ask, Falls, it was hit with a slug from a jezail hammered out of stolen Govt of India copper telephone wire. Repeated amputations were needed because of the poisoning caused by the copper.