Soldier or Officer?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Pixielicious, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Perhaps an odd question but I am seriously considering joining up (still undecided as to Regular or TA) and wanted to ask if it would be better to join as a Soldier and work up or, as I have the required qualifications, apply for Officer straight out.

I am mulling it all over and reading through all of the leaflets and booklets the recruitment office gave me and, in all honesty, am tempted to tick the boxes for both options on the interest form.

On the one hand I can see that it may be beneficial to work up to Officer (and beyond) gaining experience on the way. Then I can also see that you get training if you go straight in. But is this as good as the experience gained along the way as a Soldier?

I'm open to suggestions so, please, if you can shed any light I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks! 8)
  2. Surely it is better to aim for the top and be prepared to get knocked down rather than starting at the bottom and running the risk of not being able to climb as high as you would like at all?

If you have the qualifications then go for Officer first and then look to soldier entry if you do not meet the really strict criteria for Officer entry, at least then you know where you stand, no amount of degrees or qualifications are going to guarantee you can rise above everyone else from soldier entry because the promotion pyramid is just aggressive at the bottom and judged on professional merit and conduct more than academic qualifications.
  3. Thank you for your reply, fivetodo!
  4. There used to something called an O type commission for potential officers. They would carry out basic training with regular infantry recruits, with some additional AOSB training.
    The potential officers then went forward to main board. If they failed they had the option to stay on as a soldier or leave (without financial penalty). If they passed - then on to RMAS.
    Bit of a red herring as it no longer exists - no idea why they stopped it.
  5. Interesting. But it's ok as I can always try again if unsuccessful :)
  6. Welcome to Arrse!

If you have the qualifications, the character and determination, then follow the commissioning route. If you are not selected, then you have a Plan B - the soldier route.

You can be commissioned from the ranks, and some are, but it is a much harder route to pursue.

Browse the Officer forum for more information; we have covered the topic several times over the last couple of years.

7. Thank you for the welcome and for the reply.

I will have a browse around in a moment or two. Have just put the finishing details to my Army Interest Form :thumleft:
  8. All the best in your quest and welcome, lot's of sensible advice some not so sensible advice ;-p
  9. I must admit, I'm quite enjoying reading through and seeing just how riled some people get when they're on the receiving end of the not so sensible... But, hey, that's just me. :twisted:

The sensible advice, however, is very interesting indeed.

Cheers for the luck on the Quest, too. ;) Interest Form filled in, Intelligence Corps is what really tickles my fancy but, as previously mentioned, I'm open to suggestions.

Still very early days for me and I have a lot to learn but I know that I'm in the right place for sensible (and not so sensible) advice.
  10. The skill lies in picking out the good bits from the bad!