Soldier or civvie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Just joined up to this site after seeing some very interesting discussions by helpful people.

I wondered who could assist with my enquiry: I've recently been turned down at AOSB main board (for various reasons) and following their advice have chosen not to reattempt. I'm 25 now having graduated a couple of years ago and had my heart set on military life.

My question would be: should I join up as a soldier or pursue the career I am in now (graduate sales role). Would I regret joining as a recruit given the differences in lifestyle, role, pay and life experience of other recruits; or can it be a very fulfilling and rewarding career?

My guess would be int corps or RMP or similar...

As I know very few people in this position, any comments would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was gonna post a cuntish reply about joining the RAF, but decided against it.

'Graduate Sales Role'

It sounds like a load of shit, the sort of bollocks people with worthless degrees in media studies do.

In ten years you might still be doing your shit job and living in a 3 bed semi with a poverty spec 3 series on the drive.

Join up, get amongst it.

But do something good, get a trade.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Hi All,

Just joined up to this site after seeing some very interesting discussions by helpful people.

I wondered who could assist with my enquiry: I've recently been turned down at AOSB main board (for various reasons) and following their advice have chosen not to reattempt. I'm 25 now having graduated a couple of years ago and had my heart set on military life.

My question would be: should I join up as a soldier or pursue the career I am in now (graduate sales role). Would I regret joining as a recruit given the differences in lifestyle, role, pay and life experience of other recruits; or can it be a very fulfilling and rewarding career?

As I know very few people in this position, any comments would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
if your heart is set on it, of course you'd regret it. Follow your heart. And if it leads you to somewhere you don't actually want to be, pick up your current career again.

You don't want to go through your life thinking what if...

Every man thinks less of himself for never having been a soldier.

Here we go again. Yet another **** bleating on about how he wasn't good enough to get into Sandhurst but still thinks he's too good to join as a Tom. Do us all a favour and **** off.

I'm all out of Christmas cheer at the moment.

Hi All,

Join the TA, that way you can hold on to your special sales job AND paint your face funny/buy shiny things from silvermans

Or... TA soldier.

Wouldn't want to regret not doing it; but having spoken with a friend who served in the RM as a soldier, the impression I got was that I would not be challenged, may get bored and would not be around many other folk with the same or similar background.

Also have a mate who's a 2Lt in RLC... says worst thing to do would be joining as a tom. I'm aware the army's full of people from all walks of life, but given the magnitude of the decision I've found it useful getting these sorts of opinions.

Also have a mate who's a 2Lt in RLC... says worst thing to do would be joining as a tom. I'm aware the army's full of people from all walks of life, but given the magnitude of the decision I've found it useful getting these sorts of opinions.
How does your mate, who frankly is a bit of a complete novice, know what life would be really like eh?

Join the RAF as an Officer if you can. It's got to better than being a civvy right now.

Or... TA soldier.

Wouldn't want to regret not doing it; but having spoken with a friend who served in the RM as a soldier, the impression I got was that I would not be challenged, may get bored and would not be around many other folk with the same or similar background.

I suggest you leave the conversation before you get a few home truths

So a mate who was (?) a marine has told you about his service life and you got the impression that selling shit would be more challenging? I think you're correct in thinking that you would be a lonely figure, go back to your flip chart.

Some pretty hostile answers there girls! But some good ones too so thanks. Question is simple, know very few people who are serving so was trying to see whether the average grad could get on in the ranks or whether it'd be advised to seek civilian employment

P

Prefect

Not just the RAF , this special guy has raf regt all over him - raf regt - the fourth corner of the special forces triangle
In much the same manner that the AA is the fourth emergency service.

To the OP - Graduates are ten a penny. Your Degree does not mark you out as special in civilian or military life. There are plenty of well educated rankers in both the Regular Army & TA. Jobs everywhere are full of no mark Graduates that think they are doing people a favour by being around. It's a piece of paper. I say this as a, admittedly near 30 year, Graduate that knows the work starts when you get a job

If you want to be a Soldier do it. If you are going to spend your time telling yourself and others that you should be in charge or promoted before the other, lesser, mortals then stick with "sales" and worry about who has the nicest Mondeo.

Status
Not open for further replies.