Soldier or civvie?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by JB1087, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

Just joined up to this site after seeing some very interesting discussions by helpful people.

I wondered who could assist with my enquiry: I've recently been turned down at AOSB main board (for various reasons) and following their advice have chosen not to reattempt. I'm 25 now having graduated a couple of years ago and had my heart set on military life.

My question would be: should I join up as a soldier or pursue the career I am in now (graduate sales role). Would I regret joining as a recruit given the differences in lifestyle, role, pay and life experience of other recruits; or can it be a very fulfilling and rewarding career?

My guess would be int corps or RMP or similar...

As I know very few people in this position, any comments would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Depending on why they turned you down any "sensitive" position could be out of the question anyway.

3. Int or RMP, hardly soldiering.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I was gonna post a cuntish reply about joining the RAF, but decided against it.

'Graduate Sales Role'

It sounds like a load of shit, the sort of bollocks people with worthless degrees in media studies do.

In ten years you might still be doing your shit job and living in a 3 bed semi with a poverty spec 3 series on the drive.

Join up, get amongst it.

But do something good, get a trade.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

5. Interesting to note you have on advice, decided not to reattempt...........?????

6. 123

123 LE

if your heart is set on it, of course you'd regret it. Follow your heart. And if it leads you to somewhere you don't actually want to be, pick up your current career again.

You don't want to go through your life thinking what if...

7. "Doesn't play well with others."...?

8. Every man thinks less of himself for never having been a soldier.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Here we go again. Yet another **** bleating on about how he wasn't good enough to get into Sandhurst but still thinks he's too good to join as a Tom. Do us all a favour and **** off.

I'm all out of Christmas cheer at the moment.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Join the TA, that way you can hold on to your special sales job AND paint your face funny/buy shiny things from silvermans

• Like Like x 1
  11. Or... TA soldier.

Wouldn't want to regret not doing it; but having spoken with a friend who served in the RM as a soldier, the impression I got was that I would not be challenged, may get bored and would not be around many other folk with the same or similar background.

Also have a mate who's a 2Lt in RLC... says worst thing to do would be joining as a tom. I'm aware the army's full of people from all walks of life, but given the magnitude of the decision I've found it useful getting these sorts of opinions.

12. Ravers

• Like Like x 2
  13. How does your mate, who frankly is a bit of a complete novice, know what life would be really like eh?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ravers

15. Join the RAF as an Officer if you can. It's got to better than being a civvy right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.