Soldier -> Officer

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by YouKaySoap, Feb 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I visited the careers office today. I said to the guy there I was looking to join in the infantry and he said 'well you could go into the paras or the rifles or the guards' the guy behind me whispered 'don't go into the guards.' Anyway when I told them I had standard grades at 1 and 2 (GCSEs) the guy looked at me like I was mental. I was told I could go into REME or RE basically anything I wanted.

When I said I was doing my highers this year the guy told me in no uncertain terms, 'don't go soldier. You could be an officer.' I'm completely disillusioned by this point. I thought that only people with A levels or a degree could be officers not someone doing highers (AS level in England). So now I have to reposition my thinktank.

My only worry about being an officer is it might be shit. I definitely don't want to be stuck behind a desk (it's why I'm joining the bloody army) so could anyone give me an idea of what it's like? Do officers still get to go rambo in the field? Thanks for any advice.
  2. I don't know about going Rambo, but at first you won't be behind a desk too much. Maybe when you get promoted. But my knowledge is minimial about Officers.

Are you looking for a full career within the Army, or just aiming to spend a few years in?
  3. If you have good grades at GCSE, are likely to gain good grades in your Highers and you could gain further academic qualifications, then it is likely that employment as a soldier will bore you to tears.

However, becoming a commissioned officer is not just about gaining academic qualifications. You will have to demonstrate to the Selection Board that you have the ability to think and plan under pressure, weigh up your options and deliver a workable solution to your soldiers. If you cannot operate like that, don't apply for a commission.

Search this site for keywords like "Sandhurst" and "commissioning", and read the Officers' Forum. Then think about your capabilities and your ambitions. Ask yourself what else you can bring to the party? What do you do with your spare time? What other activities do you undertake in school? Where do you want to be in 10 year's time?

4. Alright I'll try looking into the officer forums. I still want to join up so we'll see where things go... Thanks for the advice. :)
  5. The officers are the managers of the Army and spend the majority of their Army career sitting behind a desk. Its OK for some but wasn't for me. As an other rank you get paid less than officers but you have a better laugh and make more friends in my opinion. Its up to you but it takes all kinds of people to make the Army work.
    You need UCAS points (can't remember how many) to be eligible to apply for officer so that is why AS levels are OK.
  6. You're not wrong fella, it's also lonely as the boys dont want to know you for the first year or two.

But if you're of a nervous disposition and feel uncomfortable in social circles, enjoy reading the Times and were a bully victim, then the Officer route is perfect for you!
  7. For the first 5 years of an officer's career, his/her feet will not touch the ground. I doubt that they will ever see a desk unless it is from the wrong side of their CO's/OC's!

8. "If you are a paperwork ninja you wont need to spend much time at your desk" You will be told this by everyone of the rank of captain or above -where the "real" paperwork begins.

It takes until the rank of captain to become adept at paperwork by which time you wont have a platoon to spend your time with.

You wont go rambo in the field, insofar as you shouldnt plan on posting a grenade or bayoneting someone, but you will get 30-ish blokes, with weapons shooting at shit with weapons of various calibres and.... PL Sgt permitting, carrying out your plan.
  9. Hmm, an interesting description, and one that a good chunk of the Army would not recognise!

10. All I have to say then is it sounds like the perfect route for me. :p I've got a form here saying there's an insight course in March. Says stuff like "command tasks" and all that. Looks like I'll have to spend some dough on sleeping bags and other useless crap too. :-( This is new ground for me so thanks for the advice.
  11. Dont spend any money - the unit running this 'insight' course will provide you with all you need
  12. Life as a soldier would 'bore him to tears' That is a bit rough Litotes and I would have to disagree with you.
    I spent nine years as a soldier even though qualified to apply for a commission. I enjoyed that time immensely and would cheerfully do it again.
    I realise that today's Army is more career mindeds than we were. All most of us wanted was some travel and adventure and we got that in spades. Don't write a life in the ranks off, it well suits many a youngster.
    And by the way, it need not preclude a person from a successful career in civvy street.
  13. I went RMAS route.

The soldier's life doesnt seem bad, in that they live with 30 peers, and promote on merit whilst taking as much or as little responsibility as they like.

Options that arent "as" open to a 2lt.
  14. YouKaySoap - are you me?

I'm in pretty much the same boat, apart from I have my A levels already. I've been stuck in a shitty desk-job for the past two years, earning decent enough money to invest in a house. Now, before I top myself from the boredom, I'm joining the army to travel, see the world, and make some life-long friends etc etc...

They want me to be an officer though, but I don't think I want to do that..

I get my fiance and family moaning at me because they see it as going in as a monkey where I could be the organ grinder - but I want to do what I want to do, and that is to get in the thick of it..

PM if you wanna :)
  15. Quick one on the UCAS points, its a minimum 150 for officer entry. Soapy, I am a recruiter in Glasgow, PM me if you want to know more about anything you have been told.