Soldier -> Officer OR straight to Officer training??

Soldier/Officer training

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi guys, been pondering on joining the army for a few months now and after some research, I've begun the joining process.

I am still at University so my original plan was to join as a Reserve Officer. I'm interested in the Int Corps who the army careers lot have said is at 120% capacity so are only accepting Soldiers, and I'd have to wait a year to be given another chance.

On the other hand, there is a Royal Signals unit not too far from me who are still looking to train new officers.

I am quite set on the Intelligence Battalion, but want to join the army to develop my leadership skills. My question is, d'you think it'd be better to start as a soldier for the Int Corps with the aim of progressing, or to become an Officer at another Unit in hopes of transferring back to the Int Corps?

Thanks in advance.

This definitely hasn't been covered before. Now, prior to @jarrod248 internetting your head in, might I suggest a quick use of the search function, seeing if at least some of your questions are answered and adjusting your left and right of arc accordingly?

Incidentally, "guys" makes my teeth itch. It's right up there with Fella.

Thanks for your prompt reply MrShanklysboots. I have spent a fair amount of time snooping around this forum and the army's official website for info. I understand that both routes are possible, I even got the facts from the Careers people. I just posted in hopes of anecdotal replies.

If you're set on INT work then join as squaddie and apply for your pips once in and with a bit of experience behind you.

Joining the RSIGS with the intention of eventually transferring is not going to endear you to those that give you the opportunity; nor if you are honest and honourable (yes, there are still people who do try to be even in these benighted days) and inform the RSIGS unit that that's your plan going to make them want to splash out the cash to train you.

Go INT as a squaddie first, that way you will gain some relevant experience both in INT and at the receiving end of a Rupert -- it might make you a better officer in the long run. (No innuendo intended.)

INT and Signals are apparently becoming one command , so it really might not matter which route you take.....join the RRS and keep your dignity....

@Andreas_Wank - why?

@GrumpyWasTooCheerful I appreciate your answer, you've made good points. I know that the Int Corps have an abundance of highly qualified soldiers. What if the Int Corps fork out money to train me too, would that hinder me applying for an Officer role?

@HLD DMR I could see that happening, the recruiters were the ones who recommended the Signals to me as apparently they sometimes go on joint operations together with the Int Corps. Thanks.

If you want to do leadership and blowing the whistle to send the chaps over the top and stuff, then become an officer. If you want to do intelligence work, including both incredibly interesting and unbelievably dull, join the Int Corps as a soldier.

Bear in mind that in the AR you'll only ever see a subset of both R Signals and Int Corps employments and that some of the most interesting lines of work, including many that see intimate cooperation between the Corps, are unlikely to be available to you.

Thank you @Glad_its_all_over , I get it. Basically, go for what I'm passionate about. I am attracted to the Officer role due to developing leadership skills and the better sign up bonus. I do want to end up as an Officer in the end, but don't mind stagnating the process to involve myself in something that stimulates my mind.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Signals are a broad church , once in there are some quite interesting career routes to pursue . Could give you the best of both worlds? Also good comms knowledge is a huge advantage in lots of regiments

Thank you @Glad_its_all_over , I get it. Basically, go for what I'm passionate about. I am attracted to the Officer role due to developing leadership skills and the better sign up bonus. I do want to end up as an Officer in the end, but don't mind stagnating the process to involve myself in something that stimulates my mind.
If you decide to go the soldier route in the Int Corps, I'd counsel you very strongly against describing your service in the ranks as 'stagnating the process' when talking to your recruiters, instructors or, eventually, if you're successful, your peers and superiors. Their response is likely to be dusty.

Regardless, you have to initially join as a soldier now anyway. You'll complete Phase 1 Training as a soldier, and if you're recommended, will go on to AOSB (if not passed already) and if successful, officer training. You'll get credit at RMAS for the training you'll already have done.

@MoleBath @Couragethecowardlydog I would agree with mole bath I am in quite unique position where I am located in the Royal Signals being very active. Its prob the most active reg over here and their other areas I want to peruse later on. And I am told this is a good route if you want to get into Mil Intel etc.

I currently have my selection in two weeks and still crapping myself to be honest but the squad have really made me feel like part of the family coming in with a lad at 39 and a few extra pounds its been a life changer for me.

Wish I had done it at your age young chap good luck with your application. One thing I would say is prepare you're GP the RGMD which I am still going through can be a bitch make sure he has dates for everything and if their is no end date get him to say no repeat prescription was issued this saves them going back and forth.

If the army sees potential in you as a officer they will flag your career path as such its not a pick and choose I want to do this kind of thing. But they do give you a choice of Regs and I couldnt recommend the signals well enough.

@Andreas_Wank - why?

@GrumpyWasTooCheerful I appreciate your answer, you've made good points. I know that the Int Corps have an abundance of highly qualified soldiers. What if the Int Corps fork out money to train me too, would that hinder me applying for an Officer role?

@HLD DMR I could see that happening, the recruiters were the ones who recommended the Signals to me as apparently they sometimes go on joint operations together with the Int Corps. Thanks.
I'm ex-Sigs and I never directly worked with INT. I can say though that the BS factor can be quite "strong" in some RSIGS units so it's up to you what sort of environment you wish to serve in.

Yes. There are units where RSIGS and INT work together.

Do you want a technical career or a management one?

If you're keen and good enough, and have good bosses they'll see you through to where you want to go. The opportunities are always around you, it's up to you, in the end, to make the most of them.

Ah... recruiters! Beware, they have quotas.

Choose the one that you would love to do, would be my suggestion.

Any Slime around? If so over to you.

Regardless, you have to initially join as a soldier now anyway. You'll complete Phase 1 Training as a soldier, and if you're recommended, will go on to AOSB (if not passed already) and if successful, officer training. You'll get credit at RMAS for the training you'll already have done.
Not any more I'm afraid - once upon a time yes, not now.

If you apply as an officer you go through the officer exclusive stream via the OTR.

Oh, and we have just formed a new CEMA regiment in the Corps where int. will be integrated.

Not any more I'm afraid - once upon a time yes, not now.

If you apply as an officer you go through the officer exclusive stream via the OTR.

Oh, and we have just formed a new CEMA regiment in the Corps where int. will be integrated.
How recent a change is this? My advice is very recent, unless you join as a PQO.

The problem with the Int corps as a solider is, while on the whole it is satisfying and you get a lot of responsibility and treated like an adult. There are still people in the Army who see rank as your maturity and capability rather than your role and think it is ok to treat you like a tit.

I used to recommend professionals etc to try and become a solider first and then go officer, or say officers just help lead and manage in the Int corps, and soliders do the interesting bit.

But the facts are as officer you will get treated better, people will assume you have a brain and you will generally get listened to.

So go solider if you are ok with occasionally being treated as a tit even if you are the SME, or have a proper adult job out side the AR.

It can be frustrating, but over all Int Corps solider reserve is good fun and rewarding.

I advise that you follow my career path;
- PreRCB with the Royal Corps of Signals
- 'O' Type engagement
- Fail RCB and transfer to the Int Corps as OpInt&Sy
The best of both worlds - and I enjoyed the best of both worlds. For the further adventures of SixBadges, you will have to wait for the autobiography (or use a decent search engine).
Whatever you choose; enjoy.

How recent a change is this? My advice is very recent, unless you join as a PQO.
Current as of June.

Having said that the process has been mucked about with that much it depends on which CSM you get from the recruiting 'desk' of capita.

I heartilly believe that we need to pick a process and stick with it for at least 2 years before we muck about again - the changes need time to take effect before we can evaluate them.

Latest Threads