Soldier mounted gunshot detection system going to theatre

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by js374, Nov 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I saw this earlier in The Register and wondered what people thought of this kit? Seems like a good idea but would it actually be used as from the picture it sits exactly where straps will go over your shoulders. The company are the ones who make the big vehicle mounted boomerang system the Americans use so appear to have a good pedigree in this area.

Acoustic gunshot locators get UK military field trials • The Register

2. Waste of time. If it's a sniper they'll fire one or two rounds then disappear, if it's a group of riflemen you'll either be in their killing zone or given the volume of fire it won't take the brains of an archbishop to work out where they are. Only worth while if it was tied to a computer system that automatically returns fire... with artillery!

3. Excuse my naivety but seeing that gunshots tend to emit a loud bang, have soldiers not had gunshot detectors mounted on each side of their heads for quite some time?

4. Not as good as you'd imagine....

5. For a single gunshot with a supersonic bullet you won't hear the shot until after the bullet has passed you.

If you go to a shooting range even under ideal conditions (flat terrain, good weather, single shot, no echoes) you'd be doing good to estimate the origin of the gunshot within a 30 - 45 degree arc. When I'm in the bunker patching up people's targets at 300m it is even more difficult to distinguish the supersonic crack of the bullet from the pop of the rifles downrange, let alone tell you which lane the bullet came from noise alone. Humanly pinpointing a shooter is inordinately difficult.

Of course there are soldiers here who can give you first hand accounts of what it is like to be in a pitched firefight, which not having been there can only imagine to be much worse.

6. Your points are true and I'm not disagreeing, but..

In line with your point above, with a supersonic bullet, you will not be able to do anything about it until after it has gone past you, detector or no detector.