• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Soldier Magazine 1980.

Some adverts here from Soldier Magazine 1980 that might ring a nostalgic bell with with the more senior members who may recall the Mazda Montrose, half-price travel on British Rail, employment as a Prison Officer at £99 per week (after training) and a bank advertising its mortgages with an SLR.

26665333427_3eff3c76a7_o.jpg
27664168338_ebc535855b_o.jpg
39705740040_c84f3db0d9_o.jpg
40621170465_5b93a79630_o.jpg
40640814855_52d909984a_o.jpg
41472969522_810009ce87_o.jpg
ages with an SLR...

Not just an SLR but a set of trousers that hark back to a different era too*

*they look like rhodi cam/denison style to me rather than DPM.

Interesting that the Forces Railcard got you 1/2 price rather than 2/3s price. When did the erosion set in and why I wonder?

How times change thats when Jimmy Saville was regarded as a very nice man.
Certainly have changed, he's advertising a rail card that now costs 21 quid.
Admin fee my hoop.

The Nat West advert reference the Mortgage being paid.. Question, How many Soldiers in 1980 had mortgages? It was a few years later that home ownership became the be all even for the Army.

The Nat West advert reference the Mortgage being paid.. Question, How many Soldiers in 1980 had mortgages? It was a few years later that home ownership became the be all even for the Army.
Didn’t think it was that unusual. My old man took out one in 1981 and shipped us back from BAOR to live in the house.

1983 I gave up my MQ and future rights to a MQ for a payment to cover Deposit,Legal fees,Removal fee to buy a New build in the Town I would eventually settle in.
The house cost £19,850.00 Mortgaged ofcourse, 100% mortgage. Interest rate hit 15% in 85.
The house purchase scheme was the only reason I could buy on a Cpls wage. I was the first in my family who bought rather than rent,so back then Mr Average wage had no chance to buy. Today's generation are no diffrent only diffrence was politicians did not use that as a excuse to bash the Goverment.
Due to the 15% interest rate I had to sell up in 86 as I could not afford the mortgage monthly payments,I became a Civilian in 85 on the average wage of around £90
The good old days !
Ps I had a Mazda 1000 in 1980 ( New Tax Free BAOR)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
IIRC, you could get endowment type mortgages then, without actually owing a property. They were basically just pay in now and get a lump sum in the future

IIRC, you could get endowment type mortgages then, without actually owing a property. They were basically just pay in now and get a lump sum in the future
That was the type i had with what was then Hill Samuel supplying the endowment and Halifax the Mortgage. Sadly due to having to sell after only 3 years I made nothing but owed more.

There were the few occasional ones who either bought or inherited a house. The married sometimes left their wives there and moved back to live in the barracks for free. Professional beanstealers was the term I seem to remember.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin The NAAFI Bar 96
Auld-Yin The NAAFI Bar 343
simbo The NAAFI Bar 111