Soldier "Life Long Learning"

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by gogmilwr, Feb 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been looking on the Int Corps section of the website to see if there is any information regarding career development for soldiers, as I couldn't find what I was looking for I had a look at R Sigs. They show a "career progression" timeline and summary for officers which, includes details of undertaking further degrees and membership of various technical institutes.

From looking at the Int Corps officer brief I can see that officers have access to similar, however, the only detail shown in the soldier job brief is an NVQ Level 2 in Admin.

So, I am wondering: if a soldier has a good education (first degree), suitable experience and the given aptitude, are soldiers able to have access to further education to achieve second degrees, gain membership to professional institutes and "higher" training within the Army.

Or, can a soldier expect to only have access to comparably training and education?

Thank you!
  2. As I hijacked your previous thread with knitting patterns, I feel obliged to provide a sensible answer to this one.

In service degrees aren't something I've ever heard of a soldier getting, aside from Royal Signals Foreman of Signals (FofS) and Royal Engineers Clerk of Works (I think?).

However, you can go through the system to gain a Masters in Security and Intelligence, which takes two years (again, I think?). OR, you can used standard learning credits (SLC) and enhanced learning credits (ELC) to fund your way through Open University/other distance learning.

Now where did I leave my knitting needles ....
  3. I think the point is probably that we (the wider armed forces) are absolutely terrible at advertising vocational learning and continuing professional development on the same wavelength as our would-be recruits. Some Corps are better and some are worse than others.

I believe that Royal Signals Comms Sys Engineers are now going to get a Foundation Degree at Class 1 (a 12 month course), which is pretty good. But even the R SIGNALS struggle to spread the word. You hear more on ARRSE than you ever do over the official channels, chain of command, Soldier mag, ArmyNET etc etc.

I wish the various Regts and Corps would spend a little bit of time and effort on advertising the opportunities better. It's an investment. NVQ 2 in admin is absolutely sod all. Checkout assistants get better than that (and they get store discount).
  4. Considering my experience of Army info is only really ARRSE and, I agree with you.

I am trying to discover what could be the best possible route of entry into the Army/Corps for me, it is proving quite difficult to find out what level/standard of education soldiers are actually able to get access to if they have the correct attitude, aptitude, motivation and current standard of education.
  5. IIRC there is progressive accreditation for Int Corps skills and qualifictions, leading up to post graduate level.

Someone who is still in the Corps, especially someone next to the tank will be best placed to answer.

Sadly the second career path that springs from the City and Guilds in Photography, and associated consumable stores, is no longer available in the Intelligence Corps.

Pass my lab coat will you? That's my Sherpa van mobile darkroom waiting outside.
  6. It's not all bad. Just flash your MOD90 and you get a discount too....

Personally, I feel there are still too many muppets who are under the impression soldiers are in someway too thick for such quals. And this extends to the soldiers too.

Whilst studying for a OU degree I had the odd adverse comment from some, and even NOW only just the other week I was questioned whether a level 1 cse from OU 'would be too difficult'!!!!

If the form had been read, it showed my trade (CommSysEng) and that I already had a BSc (Hons) and was working to a Msc.... so no, actually I think the course will be pretty fcuking easy actually. :x [/rant]
  7. Professional Irritant? Fence?
  8. All the way back when I polished my best boots in Block 6A, there was a WO lurking around who had a BA and who seemed slightly ashamed of it; occasionally he would be pointed at and patronised. I think he might have been almost unique in being such a swot at that time.

He was a bit of a doughbag, though.
  9. How times have changed almost 30 years on......

As a grumpy, dogmatic, incontinent LE Section Commander at ( probably the best MI Section in the Universe) all the JNCOs in the section had degrees. Not having OU tendencies myself,and being content with my EPC(A), I sometimes wondered who was patronising who.

Once, briefing OCdts at the Arms and Services day at RMAS one cadet asked me:

"If I get into the Int Corps as an officer, will it matter if I don't have a degree?"

Subs answer:
    " No it will not matter: if your section needs to demonstrate intellect, you will find that most of your soldiers will already have degrees"
  10. What quals have you got gogmilwr? You might find joining a Corps where GCSEs are frowned upon might make a degree more remarkable.
  11. Made me smile that. When I was a Sgt I had to go and see a solicitor about getting legal aid for my divorce. The solicitor I saw was a real pompous c unt (aren't they all?) and whilst telling me what to write on the form, felt compelled to tell me how to spell the word litigation. I told him that my Eng Lang BA from the OU was the equal of his LLB from Guildford uni and to wind his neck in.
  12. You can have as many degrees, vocational and mapped qualifications against national competancy matrices and multiple choice `certifications` from our `cousins` - but you may still end up in a Call Center :D
  13. Speak to your RCMO! If he doesn't know get him to find out.

Each Arm and Service Directorate has to complete a return to DETS(A) every 6 months detailing the accrediatation for you particular cap badge.

I will try and dig out the Int Corps one on Mon and have a look!

Don't get too excited though. Some cap badges are much better then others!
  14. One of the prospectuses for the Royal Corps' used to state (on page 2 IIRC) words to the effect "one of the great challenges of being a Royal Signals officer is leading men who will be educated to the same or greater level than you".

Still amuses me to think of a YO fresh of their TC cse (ie first year in), and a 3rd in Art History, trying to tell a WO2 Foreman of Signals (approx 15 years of experience) with a 1st in Sys Engineering that they 'know enough about comms' to insist the impossible is indeed possible :D

As proving this endeavour was impossible would have involved a fair bit of effort, I still to this day don't know why they didn't just tell the YO to 'crack on and report your findings'.
  15. Oooh, that hurt. :silent: