Soldier Knifed in the Head

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by tomahawk6, Oct 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Amazing story. One lucky soldier and a great team that got him back to the States for treatment.

Video of surgery:

Troops unite to save soldier knifed in head

By Patrick Winn - Staff writer
    Posted : Monday Oct 22, 2007 7:52:04 EDT

It felt like a nasty sucker punch. Yet when he strained his eyes to the hard right, there was something that didn’t belong: the pewter-colored contour of a knife handle jutting from his skull.

Sgt. Dan Powers, stabbed in the head by an insurgent on the streets of East Baghdad, triggered a modern miracle of military medicine, logistics, technology and air power.

His survival relied on the Army’s top vascular neurosurgeon guiding Iraq-based U.S. military physicians via laptop, the Air Force’s third nonstop medical evacuation from Central Command to America, and the best physicians Bethesda National Naval Medical Center in Maryland could offer.

It required extraordinary hustle from a string of ground medics, air medics, C-17 pilots, jet refuel technicians and more. Not an hour after the attack, Powers, a squad leader with the Army’s 118th Military Police Company, was draped in sheets on a medical gurney bound for Balad Air Force Base, about 30 minutes away by helicopter.

Someone pressed a phone to his left ear so he could promise his wife, in a panic worlds away, that everything would be fine. He would soon drench a surgeon’s hands in blood, narrowly surviving as a medical team opened his skull to extract 4 inches of blade from his brain.

These are the staggering measures that allowed Powers to keep his promise and his life.
  2. It's just a flesh wound. Though it did make his eyes water a bit.

3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I sure hope the man who stabbed this soldier is hanged, after a speedy trial!
  4. "Doctor doctor?"

"I keep thinking I'm a pin."

"I can see your point."

Poor attempt at bad humor.

Godspeed to said man.
  5. Why?

If foreign troops invaded the UK, destroyed the infrastructure, put me out of work, disbanded the police and the only thing I had left to do was sit around listening to radio reports about said soldiers having raped British children, killed their families and burned the bodies - I'd be reaching for the knife drawer too!

Don't get me wrong - I feel for this soldier, I'm very glad he's made it, and had I been there I'd have had no problem putting rounds into the guy that did it. However, the situation in Iraq is the fault of our governments. The insurgents are no more to blame than us.
  6. I hate to say it but I agree. The insurgent's are murdering bastards but if we were invaded by some country and were heavily outgunned and out-manourvered, wouldn't we do the same as they are doing now?

Speedy recovery mate!
  7. RitchieRitch69,

Only someone who looks at the cold hard facts would say something like this. We didn't do too much to win their hearts and minds, did we?
  8. Is that a positive or negative comment?

And no, we didn't much.
  9. It's nothing, just a mere splinter!!
  10. Neither. My point is that I agree with your sentiments.

We lost the goodwill we earned after offing Saddam. Only a well paid fool would love us after the mess we made out of their country.
  11. Ahh right. Apologies.
  12. can tell he's american, he look BIG and his heart looks enlarged, probably due to the burgers he eats!!! :omfg:
  13. 2 Days Light Duties and some Paracetomol should be up and running in no time..
  14. Iboprufen, some tubey grip, right in no time!
  15. That's what happens when rednecks say 'we're just gonna shoot down town, boss'.....

Can I hear banjos......?