Soldier killed in Afghanistan named

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Nov 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Daily ECHO

Soldier killed in Afghanistan named
    9:27pm today
    A soldier killed in an explosion in southern Afghanistan has been named by the Ministry of Defence.

Captain John McDermid of The Royal Highland Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland was killed on Wednesday by an improvised explosive device.

The 43-year-old was training Afghan army officers south of Sangin in Helmand province when the bomb went off, killing him and seriously injuring an Afghan interpreter.

Press Association
  2. RIP Sir.

3. RIP jock.
  4. Now there was a career soldier.

God bless you.

God bless the bereaved.
  5. RIP.

Another British soldier for Valhalla...
  6. RIP mucker. My sincere condolonces to the family.
  7. RIP thank you for all you have done
  8. I knew John well from 1 RHF, he was a top class soldier, particularly spending a lot of time with the Recce Pl. He did all the big jobs like Sandhurst Pl CSgt and made it to RSM of the Battalion. RIP big man.
  9. My condolences to the McDermid family and the Regiment.
  10. A real soldier. RIP mate...
    Condolences to his family
  11. I remember him well from my time with RHF he was my CSM A Coy and RQMS(T). Even though a staunch Celtic supporter he knew his football !!

A very sad loss :(
  12. Rest In Peace.
  13. It was my privilege to know John. Speaking as a Gunner about an Infantryman, he was a quality guy, utterly committed to his job and his family - RIP mate, it was an honour serving with you, albeit however brief.
  14. Very sad loss for the Battalion and the Regiment. Condolences to his family