• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Soldier jailed over rifle theft

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4896696.stm

A soldier from Birmingham who served in Iraq has been jailed for seven years and four months by a court martial for handling a stolen assault rifle.
L/Cpl James Piotrowski pleaded guilty to possessing and handling the SA80 after another soldier stole it from Wellington barracks in London in 2004.

He also admitted at the hearing in Colchester, Essex, to one charge of head-butting a military police officer.

Piotrowski's family claimed he suffered post-traumatic stress disorder.

The panel described him as a dangerous offender saying they would have given him an indeterminate sentence to protect the public if they had the power.

The soldier was at the centre of a manhunt in Birmingham when he went missing from his barracks in November 2004.

He also went absent without leave in January 2005 - the day before he was due to face court martial over the previous incident.

L/Cpl Piotrowski served for three months in Iraq with the Irish Guards.

From Radio 4 Today programme this morning...

The Army has "lost" nearly 100 weapons (37 SA80, 50-odd pistols and other types) with less than 1 in 10 being recovered. The remainder were lost by the other 2 services.

An MoD spokesman said that in each case a complete investigation was carried out.

Firearms control "experts" and campaigners say this is very worrying as every extra weapon on the streets blahblahblah... cont on p94.

the other 2 services? has someone been giving weapons to the Air Farce? what on earth for, its not like they can take them into the Holiday Inn.

On a serious note though 123 weapons, (minus the ones recovered) in 8 years. less than 16 a year. Any Stats on how many were lost on ops/tours?

Those numbers in full...

The Army lost 36 SA80 and recovered 10, but also lost 39 pistols and recovered 7. The majority of the remaining missing weapons were believed by the MoD to be stolen.

Fuller story by Audrey Gillan in today's Guardian.

Yesterday a former officer with the Irish Guards told the Guardian: "Piotrowski was a perfectly nice guy. Having been to Iraq, I know it does have an effect on you. It was only last summer that I got over Iraq and I think I am a reasonably well-balanced person and I have a good support structure. Others aren't so fortunate. The army could be slightly more robust, use outside organisations and look after its people a bit better. If they did that, there wouldn't be so many cases of PTSD."

In Op Granby,we had all the SLR's,SMG's & pistols all come back in Septic Air Force Cluster Bomb packin crates!I kid you not!!! I was at RAF Bruggen at the time & we had gats from everywhere come back to us.We spent days.weeks even,tryin to I.D where all the guns belonged too & shipping them back to their units.
Utter funking chaos!

Ventress

LE
I spoke to the RQMS of a TA Training unit after returning a weapon to him post Bosnia, thinking I was doing him a favour, he said one down 200+ to go!

theoriginalphantom said:
the other 2 services? has someone been giving weapons to the Air Farce? what on earth for, its not like they can take them into the Holiday Inn.

On a serious note though 123 weapons, (minus the ones recovered) in 8 years. less than 16 a year. Any Stats on how many were lost on ops/tours?
WHat they don't tell you is that a 'weapon' to the RAF is a Tornado GR 4!!

I remember an exercise in poland where a clerk on my int vehicle lost her rifle it was found by the cookhouse and she accused a WO2 that he stole it and put it there?? hahaha

also on the same exercise an inf bloke was real time casevac'd back to his home unit with a serious injury but he had lost his rifle in the confussion we literally formed a line in the middle of the exercise and serched for it across the area where he lost it but we were never told if it was found but we stopped looking when it got too dark to look! Probably sum skip licker picked it up and has it at home somewhere!

Speedy said:
theoriginalphantom said:

WHat they don't tell you is that a 'weapon' to the RAF is a Tornado GR 4!!
They haven't lost any of those have they?

I should have put 'personal' weapons.

Maj_Boothroyd said:
From Radio 4 Today programme this morning...

The Army has "lost" nearly 100 weapons (37 SA80, 50-odd pistols and other types) with less than 1 in 10 being recovered. The remainder were lost by the other 2 services.

An MoD spokesman said that in each case a complete investigation was carried out.

Firearms control "experts" and campaigners say this is very worrying as every extra weapon on the streets blahblahblah... cont on p94.
Yeah I heard that programme too, was funny when the storeman they got on the phone questioned how many are probably lying at the bottom of rivers after river crossings lol.

Latest Threads