Soldier jailed over rifle theft

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by japseyewarrior, Apr 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4896696.stm

2. I don't know any of the facts of the case. If they were as reported then the sentence was well deserved.

Edited for mong English.

3. If the rifle left Welly Bks, can he also be hauled up before a civvy court?

4. I take it that the charge of headbutting a military police officer was introduced by the defence as an example of his good character? :wink:

5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

But what happened to the soldier who stole the rifle?

6. He was discharged.

7. He can't be all that bad then!! :D :D

8. From Radio 4 Today programme this morning...

The Army has "lost" nearly 100 weapons (37 SA80, 50-odd pistols and other types) with less than 1 in 10 being recovered. The remainder were lost by the other 2 services.

An MoD spokesman said that in each case a complete investigation was carried out.

Firearms control "experts" and campaigners say this is very worrying as every extra weapon on the streets blahblahblah... cont on p94.

9. Hope they have better luck getting the SA-80 to work than we did when it was in our use.

10. the other 2 services? has someone been giving weapons to the Air Farce? what on earth for, its not like they can take them into the Holiday Inn.

On a serious note though 123 weapons, (minus the ones recovered) in 8 years. less than 16 a year. Any Stats on how many were lost on ops/tours?

11. Those numbers in full...

The Army lost 36 SA80 and recovered 10, but also lost 39 pistols and recovered 7. The majority of the remaining missing weapons were believed by the MoD to be stolen.

12. Fuller story by Audrey Gillan in today's Guardian.

13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

In Op Granby,we had all the SLR's,SMG's & pistols all come back in Septic Air Force Cluster Bomb packin crates!I kid you not!!! I was at RAF Bruggen at the time & we had gats from everywhere come back to us.We spent days.weeks even,tryin to I.D where all the guns belonged too & shipping them back to their units.
    Utter funking chaos!

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I spoke to the RQMS of a TA Training unit after returning a weapon to him post Bosnia, thinking I was doing him a favour, he said one down 200+ to go!