Soldier in uniform refused service in supermarket

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Whiskybreath, Aug 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had some difficulty believing it when I read it - in the Telegraph, not the Mail - but it seems to have actually happened as they describe. I had more a more difficult time when I looked for the thread here on ARRSE to see that everyone is so inured to this sort of thing that it no longer carries weight; emotional, moral or anything else, apparently. Or maybe I was the first to see it (no, I don't believe that).

I think the trouble may be that the Mail has cried 'wolf' whenever it sees a flash of grey fur, leading to outrage-fatigue. I see that in this story a Co-operative spokesworm has said that: "This was a genuine mistake on the part of our two members of staff, and has nothing to do with anyone’s ethnicity, religion or personal views ", which means that it was almost certainly all three.

Well, I boycotted the Co-op years ago when they sold me corpse-rotten chicken on two consecutive occasions, so I can't boycott the bastards again. Not that they have a branch anywhere near me now anyway. I am offended.

2. Never mind the outrage bus, we need a resurrection!

[​IMG]

3. So basically, a bloke goes to a family party whilst still in desert rig and decides to buy a slab of ale on the way?

The lad should have been served with his alcohol but then swiftly bottled for being a big timing honcho.

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Is it not against the rools to buy alcohol while in Uniform? Same rules as apply to going to a pub likewise?

5. Why on earth arn't the Coop disciplining the staff involve after all, preferably kicking their arses really hard down to the local jobcenter! :- A Co-op spokeswoman said:
    “We do not have a policy that states that when wearing uniform, members of the armed forces should not be served alcohol or cigarettes and all are welcome in our stores.”
    What excuse have the two individuals got for refusing to serve the soldier? Unless of course the answer is hidden here:- "has nothing to do with anyone’s ethnicity, religion or personal views." Hmm.... It would be interesting to know details of the two people concerned!!

6. IFIRC, that case involved a Bobby buying some lunch, not alcohol

7. Or even tolerate them upon the premises except in the pursuit of their duty.

8. Was, with some exceptions - under s178 Licencing Act 1964. However, that whole Act was repealed by the Licensing Act 2003, which (IIRC) doesn't contain any reference to supplying constables, on duty or in uniform.

9. Many years ago I worked for T.E. Scofields finest supermarket chain (Tesco's to you and me) whilst still in school.
    And part of the training was in telling us that we could not serve police officers in uniform with booze.
    I always wondered how big a problem coppers getting pissed on duty was to necessitate this law.

I worked for Tesco back in 1993. I was unaware the law had changed. Do they go for drugs now, rather than booze? Hence the relaxation of the law?

10. Not before I left in 2006. However there was a Queen's Reg which ordered that we were not to consume alcohol in public in uniform unless on duty. Guess pre- & post-parade beers in London counted as duty!

11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You forgot the second part of that sentence:

'Unless accompanied by a Senior Officer.'

There is, of course, no definition of a Senior Officer provided!

It may well be immaterial now if the 2003 Act doesn't include that though!