Soldier - Harvey Andrews

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by WindowLicker, Apr 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Aplogies if this has been posted before but for any of those that can recall lugging around a longer and heavier shooting stick than the "rifle" we have since been ripped off with, does anyone remember "Soldier" by Harvey Andrews?

Is my memory failing me or was it banned by the MoD or BBC all those years ago? Listening to it again and its lyrics ([/video]), seems as though little has changed in 30 odd years (not sure that link is going to work??)

Appears, that for except for a government saving episode in '82, a pay rise of just about the inflation rate remaims the nation's commitment to the mythical militarty covenant???

Still a great song and as significant as it was 30 years ago.
  2. I guess I need to figure out how to post a link - thanks for standing up to the plate.

3. Nay worries, Check pm's mate.
  4. Wow. never heard it before. Sad but fantastic song.
  5. Remember it well from NI - would it be '72?

Not heard it again in all those years until now.

This site is real bugger for putting you instantly in time and place - and all the memories come flooding back - good or bad.
  6. Christ this bring back memories! Certainly before '74.
  7. Thanks for the link. I was in Belfast in '79 when Warrenpoint happened. It turns out I was in the Army Cadets with one of the guys killed - Donny Blair.

RIP all British Soldiers killed.
  8. Quite a few of the Warrenpoint victims are buried here in the Military Cemetery in Aldershot.
  9. Thanks for that JD - if Donny is there will it be in the CWG register do you know?
  10. ive been in training twice with the army but the second time really wanted it but mum and dad split up and i left but i still want the army can any one tell me what to do
  11. Go back and start again. It really is that simple. Get over the past, give yourself a heavy boot up the arrse and off you go. You will be a better soldier for self-motivating.
  12. From CWG site:

The "Debt of Honour Register" is the Commission's database listing the 1.7 million men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died during the two world wars and the 23,000 cemeteries, memorials and other locations worldwide where they are commemorated. The register can also be searched for details of the 67,000 Commonwealth civilians who died as a result of enemy action in the Second World War.
  13. are u a career advisor