Soldier guilty of shooting friend

So, they found him guilty...and rightly so, the first lesson you are taught as a soldier is NSP's.

He will have the rest of his life to consider his actions that killed a friend.

He will get what he deserves.

STORY

Murder - even more so as he has been taught the importance of weapon handling. As sure as a driver had run some over in a car

blobmeister said:
So, they found him guilty...and rightly so, the first lesson you are taught as a soldier is NSP's.

STORY

Whilst I agree with the comments of, first lessons and considering his actions, Its a bit harsh to say he will get what he deserves.

We dont know the full ins and outs, and as such, it is indeed a tragic if not, stupid accident that could have been avoided.
That said, it was not the lads intention to kill his mate, and as sad as that is, its unfair to say he deserves it.

He is the one who has to live with his "mistake"

B

BambiBasher

No excuse for playing with a weapon. Especially when you have reason to know what they can do.

Taffnp said:
Murder - even more so as he has been taught the importance of weapon handling. As sure as a driver had run some over in a car
You'd better tell the court martial they got it wrong then. Presumably you have evidence not seen by the court?

And what's this got to do with someone being run over by a car?

A board of five Army officers - the military equivalent of a jury - took two hours to find him guilty.

As a soldier one of the first things you are taught is never to point a weapon in jest.

Many things can be used to kill, and a car is another tool, as a driver of a car, you don't deliberately run people over.

Admitted - I did not know the facts - only the people involved or at court would have known and therefore I should not have jumped in at the deep end. :(

Actually taffnp I wonder if he might consider himself lucky he wasn't charged with murder.

(From a Grauniad report prior to the verdict)

A British soldier in Iraq killed a sleeping comrade by aiming a sniper rifle "in jest" at his head without realising the weapon was loaded, a court martial heard yesterday.

Rifleman Aaron Kendrick, 20, who is accused of manslaughter, had committed "the cardinal sin of weapon handling" when he cocked, aimed and fired the gun, prosecutors said.

(snip)

The rifle was shared by two trained snipers in the platoon. One of these, Lance Corporal Frank Taylor, had stored the loaded weapon under his bed for a few minutes while he went to collect more ammunition ahead of an operation.

Kendrick, who picked the gun up while Taylor was out of the room, told military police that the rifle should not have been stored with a loaded magazine in it, saying: "I had that gut instinct it was safe."

While weapons were not meant to be left loaded inside barracks, the court martial was told that the two snipers regularly left 10-round magazines in their rifle so they were prepared for emergencies.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/sep/03/military

My bold. It seems that he picked up the weapon without noticing it had a mag fitted, and managed to cock it - a bolt action rifle note - without noticing that he was chambering a big, 7.62mm, live round.

I read that, but as in so many cases facts are distorted and many people who were nowhere near jump on the bandwagon, including myself. It may have been something simple like he picked it up from across the room and while he cocked it, aimed in the general direction. Then only few will know and he will have to live with what he has done.

It looks like the guy got off lightly, pointing a loaded gun in direction of some one and squeezing the trigger is murder in my book.

I am not trained Sgt is no defence in my book. soldiers all know you dont mess with weapons you dont know how to operate.

Dave

Gren said:
blobmeister said:

STORY

Whilst I agree with the comments of, first lessons and considering his actions, Its a bit harsh to say he will get what he deserves.

We dont know the full ins and outs, and as such, it is indeed a tragic if not, stupid accident that could have been avoided.
That said, it was not the lads intention to kill his mate, and as sad as that is, its unfair to say he deserves it.

He is the one who has to live with his "mistake"
I disagree with your disagreement.

Rule 1, day 1, week 1 in any professional weapons training is that you NEVER, EVER assume that a weapon is unloaded. I always thought "live" ND's in the mob were treated too leniantley. We had a REME Air Tech (who was a good mate of mine but a d1ck for what he did) put a 5.56 just past the head of an oppo and through the door and window frame of 3 Regt AAC's airfield guardroom. £200 fine!!

As has been pointed out, he cocked a BOLT ACTION weapon! How the Fcuk could you miss that big fcuking brass coloured thing?

I have no doubt (as obviously the "Jury of Officers" didn't) that he didn't mean to kill his mate (hence manslaughter as opposed to murder) and yes, he has to live with the fact he killed a mate, but, anyone that is trained to the standard that the British Army are with firearms deserves the full force of the law throwing at them if they cause a death whilst, in Army speak, "Fcuking about".

It would seem that the old saying "Never point a weapon in jest" has legs.

Strange one. Either the bolt was to the rear which he then made ready, or he re-cocked it which would have made a bloody 7.62 round eject from the chamber :s An L96 mag isn't the most obvious thing in the world, which is why on the NSPs you sweep for the mag. Stupid, stupid kid.

Sad story, that ultimately shows what boredom and mucking about with an unfamiliar weapon can do, and the consequences. RIP to the Fijian, and the convicted lad will live with what he's done for the rest of his life due to 30 seconds of fatal stupidity.

Stupid, stupid stupid. He's forfeit some of the best years of his life because he thought he was clever and the rules didn't apply to him. While it's a waste of 2 lives the lesson needs to be rammed home that you never point a weapon in jest, ever. He knew it so can only blame himself for ignoring it.

Alls sounds tragic and stupid to me.

But something that occured to me was, who was responsible for the weapon in the first place and left it laying about loaded? Surely that's not on?